NC mods Part 1 - Roll bar and coilovers

Roll bar is in! Wasn’t too dificult and everything looks pretty neat and tidy after chopping up the plastic to fit back on :laughing: Very tight fit in places. Great fit and very happy with the overall design, finish and look.

Wayne at MRC was v helpful with links to photos on how to mod the bracket that locks the roof down - some searous modding needed there - lol!

One thing I would mention is this rollbar sits vertically on top of the mounts (as I suspect all aftermarket ones do). If you look at the photo with the factory roll bar installed, it is setback from the mounts. Having a vertical bar installed means you cannot push your seat as far back. I am 6ft and I have noticed the difference. I can’t quite get the legroom I had before but the driving position is ok - just! If you are over 6ft then you will struggle. Just an FYI for those looking to fit a roll bar and are not vertically challanged!

Brakes are next! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a really useful post.

With the seat, I have to have mine all the way back, but I have my seat back quite upright. Is there a place where you can get the seat all the way back by moving the seat back?

Just checked and the seat does go all the way back - I can hear it hit the end of the runners. But you do end up very upright which might be fine for you. I have a prolapsed disc in my back and sitting that upright agrivates it so I need a slight tilt and therefore have to move the chair forwards a bit…

Thanks for the reply

Fantastic job! May I ask you what height you went for (from center cap to fender)?

Can’t remember. Will measure and confirm

1 Like

Hoses and front pads fitted today. Went with Goodman hoses and yellowfin front pads with Castrol SRF Racing brake fluid.

No photos! But was an absolute pig of a job. Every nut on the brake lines was seized. 10mm spanner was just sheering the heads so ended up using wrenches to free them.

Could not free up the nuts on the font mounts that hold the brake line to the chassis so had to remove the entire bracket, clamp the bracket in a vice and use a breaker bar to free the nut - same issue on both sides.

Front right calliper piston is stuck. Had to hammer it back to fit the new pads. Thought of buying a new calliper until I saw the price! £300 each!! Will either buy a pack of seals and refurb myself or buy a refurb for £100.

So after almost 5 hours and a lot of F’ing and blinding - job done! Brakes feel great and not pulling to one side under hard breaking so front right pot probably not totally seized - although defo more of a burnt clutch-like smell from that wheel than the left one after testing.

Toughest job so far - much harder than replacing the shocks!

Overall very pleased with the results. Just need to fix the front right calliper before I head to the track!

Only last job now is a new set of boots and geo setup and then I’m ready! :grin:

Despite the hurdles it is always satisfying to get the job done. I’ve had coilovers fitted last week, 345mm from centre cap to fender, all 4. Gotta say it is flawless, thinking about lowering another 1/2 inch.

Measured mine yesterday. 330mm to the hub both front and rear. That’s with 17" wheels. Absolutely fine at that height - no knocking or rubbing. Speed bumps are a bit tricky but fine if you slow down enough! And FYI my coilovers were set at at the factory.

1 Like

Amazing! I’m on 16” fitted with 205/45 (so slightly smaller than factory) so even lowering to 335 won’t be an issue. I think it may suffer slightly on aggressive kerbs, let’s see.