NC mods Part 1 - Roll bar and coilovers

Hi all,

Time to get cracking with some mods on my newly acquired NC1 but would like some feedback on what I’m looking at and whether you think there are better options out there.

I’ll be modding in stages (several weeks/months apart depending on costs)

Stage 1 = Roll bar and coilovers.
Stage 2 = Bracing (front and rear?)
Stage 3 = anti roll bar nylon bushes and brake hoses/pads/discs
Stage 4 = bucket seats and harness
Stage 5 = BBR 200 kit

Order not set in stone. May end up getting the seats sooner…

For now I’ve only been focusing on researching stage 1:

Roll Bar
Looking at the GCFabrications NC GC2 ROLL BAR NC GC2 Roll Bar » GC Fabrications

Quite pricey but cheaper than a new head :rofl:

Anyone know if you need to weld in spreader plates or are they good to just bolt in?

Coilovers
Looking at either the MeisterR ClubRace or the MeisterR ZetaCRD but TBH I have no idea what the difference is between them? Open to suggestion on other brands at a similar £1k price point. I hear the Gaz coilover adjusters are underneath which sounds a pain but if a better coilover then maybe worth looking at. Ohlins are just too expensive - not prepared to buy second hand.

All advice welcome :grin:

Thanks in adavnce,
Glenn

1 Like

I’ve got a 2006 NC with the GCFabs roll bar, adjustable Bilsteins, RX8 front calipers and Mintex pads, RX8 rear ARB, a Lotus Elise Divers seat and a BBR200 upgrade. Which ticks most of your list.

The roll bar is bolt-on, and quite fun to refit the rear panels unless Grant has produced some instructions recently.

The springs, dampers and ARB have been developed over the past 2 years to the point where it all works perfectly on road and track.

The Bilsteins are from the standard Sports setup, with height adjusters fitted which gives 50mm adjustment front and rear. The springs are Eibach -30mm front and Eibach barrel springs rear with a higher rate than the -30mm rears.

We had an old Elise seat in the garage and cut down an MX front seat to provide the runners and sub-frame.

The BBR 200 was the last thing to be fitted in March and is a great kit. The car now has 205bhp and 168lb ft torque. With the additional power and 500rpm rev limit it is really useful as a track tool.

The standard bushes are fine as are the standard seat belts.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a great setup Mike!

This the set you have? Bilstein B12 - Pro-Kit Suspension Kit 46-190345 | Bilstein Suspension

No, we customised a set of Bilsteins from the Sport with help from some mates at Bilstein who supplied the adjusters. Eibach supplied the rear barrel springs from their XT range. The adjusters are a standard item from Bilstein.

We used a local engineering company to cut the circlip grooves to give a maximum 100mm of travel for the adjusters. This means we can use differing spring lengths and rates if needed.

Best to do the the brake upgrade first as they take a bashing on track, in fact it’s must!
Clubsport Meisters have stiffer springs than zetas and more adjustment hence the extra cost.

Hi Sooty,

Would braded hoses and race pads suffice or do you recommend upgrading the callipers and disks as well? This would be pre BBR200 upgrade.

This is a long term project so will need to do in stages of affordability…

Personally before hitting the track id change all fluids, engine oil, coolant, gearbox and diff. Braided hoses and racing grade brake fluid. Clean brake calipers and decent pads. Normal disks (not fancy grooved ones) if the old ones have seen better days. Decent tyres and pads and off you go.

After that anything else on your list

How much difference did you find that the roll bar made? I’d dithering about getting one. Car currently has coilovers, so it’s quite stiff already.

The roll bar was installed for saftey, not stiffness, undoubtedly it has stiffened up the rear of the shell, but as we did it before we did the first trackday, i can’t quantify the improvement. The chassis stifness isn’t the same as the suspension stifness, all convertibles have a degree of chassis flex due to their construction, a roll cage will have a big effect on improving chassis flex, but the roll bar will only have a minor impact. We wanted access to be unimpaired, so we avoided the roll cage, two blokes in their late 60s need all the access we can get!

1 Like

I wanted to order the roll bar from GC Fabrications but they never answer the phone or reply to emails so I gave up in the end and ordered this today: https://motorsportrollcages.com/product/mx5-miata-nc-hard-soft-top/

Left a VM with MRC and got a call back 10 mins later. Spoke to the owner Wayne. Nice guy and really helpful with all my questions and his advice etc.

Placed the order along with diagonal brace, harness bar, seat belt relocation and powder coat!

Not prepared to hand my money over to a company that offers zero customer service thus the reason I chose MRC over GCF

I had exactly the same experience with GCF. I’m interested to hear how you get on with the new bar.

I understand that GCF is a British product but I’m surprised Cybul Roll Bars don’t get more airtime on these forums.
That bar seems a better fit restraining more OEM plastic covers etc.

Researching which bar to go for for my NC1 PRHT, the cybul is my first choice.

1 Like

Where are they based?

1 Like

It would be a deliver and home install job, although I’m sure anybody with any skills could be employed to fit the bar.

Still waiting for mine to arrive. Wayne did say they are super busy so not expecting it for a few more weeks yet. What attracted me to the one I chose was the diagonal supports connect much higher up so less chance of the bar flattening if you roll. Not fussed about cutting all the plastic as I’m building a track day car.

Ordered the Coilovers this week so expect an update on that install soon!

Finally got round to fitting my coilovers! Took a whole day but was pleasantly surprised at how well it all went. No major head aches getting the old ones out. Watched a shed load of You Tube videos picking up several useful tips that made life a lot easier :blush:

Very pleased with the final result. Handling has improved massively – feels more like my A35 now! Very little roll when cornering. Currently got the dampers set on 10 down from soft and the ride feels very nice. No knocking or rubbing. Overall extremely happy with the new setup. Oh and the car looks so much better without that massive gap too!

Rollbar finally arrived today so hoping to get that installed this weekend :grin:

Excellent and well done. And on the path too, my complete hero :smile:
A visit to the alignment centre next ??

Yep! Might try Bofiracing: https://bofiracing.co.uk/blog/mazda-mx-5-wheel-alignment-specs-for-race-track-and-fast-road/

Only about an hour away so nice drive too :blush:

Then once the coffers are topped back up, a nice set of Toyo semi slick R888R boots!

Not forgetting break hoses and pads before I finally get to track it…

How long was the lead time on the roll bar?

About 3 months. To be fair to them, Wayne told me it would be 2-3 months as they are v busy.

Hoping to fit it next weekend. Updates to follow…

1 Like