NC pairing new keys with only 1 key

This is an interestingly point that could be an issue with the later NC cars. FOREScan only lists the MX5 from 2005 up to 2010.

In theory I see no reason for it to not work with rolling code immobilisers using otherwise the same technology as it would appear each immobiliser key had its code updated by the car when it’s used. So long as the initial seeding on the individual key works then the updating should work as before.

Once Barrie has hopefully backed up my results, it would be great for somebody with a later NC model to try this. 

Neil

I would be very surprised if any of the NC cars have fixed data transponder chips. This would be a backward step from the MK2.5 car 2001 - 5 that has rolling security.

Any chip with fixed data can simply be cloned and the ecu would not know any different having the one set of data to compare.

Programming is only required when introducing chips with new data to the ecu.

OK, getting a bit nearer ( so near, and yet so far ) I received my ‘refurbed’ key remote today, all looks brand new  so, I pulled apart the new fob and got the blank blade out, then did the same with original key, which I just put back together loosely, to drive to town to seek out a friendly key cutter. We have a small precinct of shops next to the Town Hall, guess what, there’s a Timpsons! Got some cash out of the hole in the wall opposite and went in. Complete wast of time ( sort of what I’d imagined anyway ) Sorry sir, we don’t cut customer keys, let me have a look, oh, we dont stock your type of blade, you’ll have to go to Mazda. Funny that the main branch said they could get one, pity they never bothered getting back to me with the quote 

Anyway, across the road, into the indoor market, old fashioned stall, boot and shoe repairs and key cutting . Chap clocked my OC hoodie, asked what car I had, he then told me he was the proud owner of a Californian anyway, two minutes later and "that will be £3 please, I gave him a £5 note and thanked him very much 

Back home, programmed new fob to car, checked fit of new key, all good! 

So, I now have two keys, two working fobs (one with fully working chip and one to program) Got my approval from Forscan, just need to pluck up courage to get this last bit sorted. Still need the extended licence and stumbled a bit here as it asks for company name and an ID for the program or something. I did come across the ID on my travels in the site, so hopefully, with a fictitious company name, I can get that bit done.

will update as I go along 

Barrie

Barrie,

The company info is optional, I’m sure you’ll find, I certainly didn’t need it.

The ID you need is generated from within FORScan, it’s just a hash code to identify your PC as the licence is specific to only a single PC. It is covered in the stickies at the top of their how to forums.

Go on be brave 

Neil

Thanks Neil, yes I spotted the ID code within the site, I’ve been reading all the stuff on my iPad, found the download you mentioned going back to 2016 showing mx5 2005-10, so will get back on the laptop, download that version ( think I downloaded the latest version  ) get the extended licence, already have the other autokey program on the laptop so fingers crossed  its all a bit of a leap of faith for me but nothing ventured…

Barrie

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll laugh when you finish and realise how easy it is. It’s really just a case of joining the actions together that have been listed.

You may need to have your computer quite close to the OBD adaptor when you want to connect it. I originally tried with my laptop on the passenger seat but experienced connection issues. Balancing it on the transmission tunnel resolved that but given the lack of space the roof may be better 

Neil

Well, it’s a bit like a self fulfilling prophecy 

I managed to get an extended licence by putting my first and last name, followed by ID# from Forscan on my laptop, followed by my telephone number, bingo! However, having downloaded it, it’s just 3 lines of html text?  Not sure which part, or any of it to copy, and if I do, how to get it pasted into Forscan.

Connected to OBD11 straight away, standing outside the car with laptop on roof, set up profile went to PATS and msg came up, you need extended licence, how on earth do i put that onto Forscan? There is a page that says load licence key, when I click on that, it brings up 3 file folders;

1. Data

2. Images

Clicking on any of the 3 files just produces a noise (computer says no) and doesn’t do anything 

Stumped as to where to go from there  I can interrogate the car using Forscan, carry out tests etc (only tried with key ON engine not running) all that works well.

I did say at the beginning, I am a technophobe or numpty, when it comes to this type of thing though 

I said earlier, so near and yet so far. I’m still smiling though and will persevere. 

Barrie

I’d suggest you open your download folder on your laptop and sort files by date, you should see the licence file at the top/bottom. Save it to another location, one you can easily identify. Browse to this location from the load licence dialog & select the file from there.

I do vaguely remember not being able to find my licence easily when i did this.

Neil

Thanks Neil, was hoping you’d pop up to help. I’ll give this a go 

Barrie

Come on Barrie - lets get this sortedLaughing

Totally lost in this  I’m just going round in circles  in Forscan, I click on “load licence key” opens another window asking how to open? Internet explorer or other app? Tried both, saved it in Word, tried via internet explorer, not got anywhere, very frustrating for me. So, unless a miracle happens (highly unlikely) I might have to stop posting on this thread unless I can get somewhere with it. I’m sure it’s frustrating for poor Neil too, who despite his advice, hasn’t been able to instruct me? Apologies Neil. I do have a son that looks after all the IT for an international construction company, he just moved in to his own place last week otherwise I’d have got him straight on it  will just wait for him to make an appearance and get him to have at it. 

I couldn’t even sort the simple instruction provided by Neil in his last post.  That’s the level of numpty I am! 

I bet when it’s all done, it’s an easy, if slightly protracted thing to do? I will keep having a go though. 

Thanks,

Barrie

Sent you a PM Barrie

Reminds me of the time my neighbour came knocking on the door earlier this year, he said he’s been without emails for 3 weeks. Many, many phone calls to BT his supplier and they have sent him three re activation codes, he’s still stumped after 3 weeks and can’t get emails.

I went round and within 10 mins got him up and running. At first I didn’t want him to tell me his passcode so I let him enter it himself, that didn’t work but when I took a look at it he was inputting an incorrect digit, once corrected there were emails flying in to his inbox. Three weeks ago he started trying to sort it, sometimes it’s a good idea to get another opinion, cast another set of eyes over it.

Not saying you need it Barrie but I bet it’s something simple, been there done that and someone has sorted it for me in the past. Good luck getting it sorted.

come on barrie , do it for us "oldies "  

then you can do my next one 

good luck mate 

You did indeed Neil. Firstly, I was embarrassed to have taken you up on your kind offer of talking me through it all on the phone   You would have probably hung up on me in the end 

Now, let’s get on to the good news! I’ve only gone and done it 

I think that miracle I asked for, actually happened I’m just off to put the lottery on 

My biggest issue was being able to enter the extended licence ID into Forscan. That, to be fair is totally down to me, nothing to do with the overall guide published by Neil. I tried saving the downloaded extended licence details all over the place without success. Then, following on from Neil’s earlier post, I

created a new folder in my C/ drive, named it and saved the download within it (I think) anyway, went back in to Forscan, clicked load code or whatever it asks for, searched in C/drive for it, clicked it and there it was!

Closed down and reopened Forscan, everything was there  literally a couple of minutes following prompts including getting the in code off autokey site, which was literally just logging in, click FORD, enter outcode, click generate and there was the incode. Back on Forscan, entered the new code. Then you have to remove original key, swap it for the new key, turn ignition back to ON, click OK on Forscan page and literally one second and it was programmed! I didn’t believe it so turned key and car roared into life!!

there were two keys registered on the ECU, now there are three, of which I have two. 

I always knew it would be easy 

Massive massive thanks to Neil for providing this information in the first place, cannot thank you enough mate! Also to all you guys that have contributed on Neil’s thread regarding this fantastic method.

Barrie

Very pleased you guys have got this to work.

What this forum is all about and looking forward to a howto write up, preferably with video(Barrie)Smile 

Good job

.     This thread has been better than any soap on the telly, I have been riveted to it from the start.

Many congratulations to you and thanks to the originator, knowledge is power so well worth sharing. 

Congratulations Barrie, I expect you now feel like I did when I finally got it working 

Even better, now people will really believe it’s possible as 2 of us have proven it!

The only thing is mate, you only have 2 keys and I have 3, perhaps you need another 

Neil

1 Like

Now that’s stretching it a bit!  TBH, as said, everything went well following Neil’s posts, apart from getting the extended licence into Forscan. I had my laptop open, sat on roof of the car, no connection issues, so all done from outside the car. I also had my iPad open and used that to log in to autokey for new code. I’m sure I could have toggled between tabs on the laptop but was worried about losing some of the progress I’d made  its all done from prompts on Forscan, so just clicked OK each time. Only couple of slight worries (for me) was getting to the page where it said I needed an incode from external source, the options were cancel or continue anyway,  so I continued and it gave me the outcode on next screen  the other was having to switch ignition off and replace key with new one for programming as I thought I might lose Bluetooth connection? Needn’t have worried, I swapped it quickly and again worked perfectly.

i know this might not be a big deal to many, but for me it’s a bit like the second coming! EPIC! I’ve seen complete second hand keys on eBay for £30, £3 for the cutting (although I gave chap £5 ) a blank blade less than £5 The code reader I’ll not include as I now have a top notch ELM27 OBD11 code reader to go in the toolbox, some great diagnostic stuff on Forscan so it will prove useful I’m sure 

To sum up, £40 can get you a fully working 2nd key, or, as I did, for another £15 (£55 all in) get an as new key. That’s way over £200 cheaper than Mazda. 

Barrie