NC pairing new keys with only 1 key

Hi everyone,

So the story goes like this, I bought a 2006 2.0 sport a few weeks ago but it only came with a single keyfob, the previous owner informed me he lost the other key. After much reading on here and the web, I bought 2 more mitsubishi keyfobs from ebay and 2 blank blades. I had the blades cut to match my existing key and fitted these to the new keyfobs. I then used the normal method to pair both new keyfobs to my alarm/remote.

I was then left with the seemingly very expensive/difficult task of getting the new fobs paired to my immobiliser or getting my original transceiver code copied onto the new fobs. I spoke to a very pleasant but ultimately somewhat useless guy at my local Timpsons who informed me all they could do was provide a new basic key coded to my existing one “for £80 or so”. They would not under any circumstances touch my new fobs. This left me somewhat frustrated so I decided to see if I could obtain equipment that would allow me to copy the transceiver code onto the new keys myself. Unfortunately any equipment I found that may be able to do this was prohibitively expensive.

Next I toyed with the idea of programming new keys to the immobiliser and to my surprise I found this old post: https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do-yourself-forum-73/diy-programming-new-key-when-you-only-have-one-forscan-262637/ this suggested doing such a thing was indeed not only possible but actually fairly easy. I purchased a BT OBDII reader, downloaded the latest version of FOREscan and registered with their forums (so I could apply for the required extended licence). Unfortunately I had issues connecting to my car correctly with this OBD reader so I ordered a different one, that claimed to be fully ELM327 compatible and tried again. The second OBD reader was even worse than the first so I returned it to Amazon. After a little more in-depth searching I found this OBD reader that claimed FOREScan compatibility: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XPLSQRS

With this OBD reader I was indeed able to connect to my car and read all the diagnostic info correctly so I moved on to try programming my new keys into the immobiliser. Unfortunately once again I struck a problem, this time to do with having a keyless entry module, that prevents the software from programming keys. This issue seems to have been reported a few times now on the FOREScan forums but as yet is not resolved.

Interestingly the MX5 was reported to be compatible with PATS programming (used to add keys to the immobiliser) in FOREScan a couple of years ago. I therefore downloaded the version of FOREScan in which the MX5 NC was added in 2.3.4 beta, 2016-09-2. Using this version of the program I was able to access the key programming functionality successfully and added my 2 new keys to the immobiliser successfully. I now have 3 fully working remote keyfobs for my car that only cost me about £80 in total - result!

So if you’re in the position I was, worried about having only 1 key and the prohibitive cost of obtaining a second fob, fear not. 

Hopefully this info will help some fellow Mazda owners :slight_smile:

Neil

3 Likes

Just to get this straight and I have heard this may be possible.

It is possible to buy a specific not that expensive code reader module that with the correct software will talk to the NC ECU and allow you to teach the keyblade to the car.

That is a great find but it is a bit of a crack in Mazda’s security system.

This is indeed the case, as I have done so myself for 2 additional keys.

It’s not really a crack in the security as you need 1 working key in order to program additional ones using this method. Given that programming additional keys without any hardware is possible when you have 2 keys this is not really much different - unless you’re in the habit of lending your car to people you don’t trust who could clone the key  

Neil

This is really good news - a number of owners with NC cars will be very pleased to have this information.  

There’s an additional function that I have not yet had time to try which allows the removal of all known keys from the immobiliser. 

This is something I plan to do when I have a little time and I will report back after. At present my car says it knows of 4 keys and as I only have 3 of those I’d like to remove all the keys & add back in the ones I have in hand. This is obviously a more risky procedure than just adding new keys but would give peace of mind when you have missing keys, like I do.

Neil

Hi Neil

I assume that because your ecu knows of 4 keys, that confirms these are all individual keys with their own data individually programmed to the ecu. Just interested to have it confirmed that these cars have rolling security, so cloned chip data not possible and data on chip/stored in ecu updated each time used in ignition.

Having been good enough to come on this forum to advise us of the NC programming possibility I would strongly advise that you do not remove all 4 keys from the ecu at the same time. This would effectively delete all reference to the three working keys as well as the lost original making programming impossible.Hopefully possible to kill one at a time until you identify the missing key reference?  

Once you have the correct reader with software loaded, is this chip/key programming an intuitive process or would an owner need the procedure explaining to them?      

I am one of those folk  Timpsons, after lengthy phone conversations and an identified store that could provide a complete key/fob, came up with zero. I’m still waiting for their return call so complete waste if time IMO and not the cheapest option 

being a complete technical novice (read numpty) I would really appreciate a walk through of this process as it looks like a quantum leap forward In obtaining fully functioning replacement keys/fobs at a great price point. I’m ready to order blank key/OBD11 reader/2nd hand fob ready to go. It’s a 4 button Mitsubishi fob for a 2007 1.8 roadster ( not keyless entry )

Barrie

Now I’m really confused  said I was a numpty  digging deeper in to this so went onto the forum mentioned by Neil and found his posts regarding this.

" I used this old version 2.3.4 beta, 2016-09-21, the one first touted as supporting the MX-5, and it allowed me to access PATS programming functionality to add my new keys to the immobiliser. The only slight downside is that you need to use an external incode generator as this version does not have that built in."

what an earth is an external incode  generator?

Barrie

For the incode generator, register here www.autokeyprog.com then logon then click on the Ford Key Programmer.

This website is where you enter the outcode generated by the car (when using the PATS programming function) and it will return you an incode to enable access to the function. It provides another layer of security before allowing access to certain functions in the ecu.

You should read this guide first so you understand the steps required and are prepared: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

If you have questions after that then I’ll be happy to help.

This guide is also useful if you want to check the new key you have is valid: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1581

WRT erasing keys, it is only possible to erase all keys then add them beck again individually. An important point here is that you need to program 2 keys before the vehicle will start so be sure you have at least 2 keys that you know work before attempting to erase & re-program. Again, there is a guide on the FOREScan forums covering this.

I believe I read somewhere that NC models do not use rolling codes though this could be incorrect.

I would stress that you need to buy a fully compatible ELM327 OBD reader, and it would appear the vast majority are not, so spend a little more money on the one I linked from Amazon and save yourself the frustration.

Neil

Thanks Neil, appreciate the answer  Now, where do you live, I’ll just bring the car and keys/fobs to you and pay you to do it 

Barrie

I think I read in the manual that if you reprogram a key using the “in-car” system, you have to have all the keys with you as once you start to add keys, it deletes every one of them; hence you having to have them with you when you start the process.  Maybe try adding a key via the built-in system would remove the ghost key?

I bought a “normal” key with Mazda chip for ÂŁ15 on eBay, it doesn’t have any remote buttons, it is just a normal old-fashioned key.  It programmed in perfectly and works.  However, if the car is locked, using the key will unlock the car, but the alarm will sound until you switch on the ignition.  After that everything is normal.  If you lock the car with the key, the alarm does not set.  Maybe useful when sending the car in for a service.

I’m in Romford, Essex. Happy to help people out with this but I fear I’m rather out of your way Barrie!

If you load the software & buy an OBD reader then you can connect up & have a look around in FOREScan without harming anything. It’s only really when you start with PATS programming that you’ll actually change anything in the ECU and given this is based on industry standard protocols should be well tried and tested.

Neil

Typical!  Nothing’s ever near me Neil  I might just get the bits and see where I go from there, thank you posting this up regardless, as it might just help folk. If I can do it, (fingers crossed) then anyone from age 5 ought to be able to! 

Barrie

So, took delivery of the ELM27 OBD11 code reader linked to by Neil (thank you) just bought a 4 button remote (refurbished with blank key blade/new case/battery/transponder/etc) it’s the Mitsubishi one to match what I have already. That should be here middle of next week, downloaded the forscan app (not sure if I’ve got the correct version but when I get chance, will plug in the reader and check it out). Just need to get the key cut when I get it, pair the remote and then sort out the “adding the extra key bit” which I’m flapping about  will report back as I go along.

Barrie

Good luck Barrie, not that I think you’ll need it. 

Don’t forget to register on forescan as it takes a while for a moderator to approve your membership. You’ll need this done first to request the extended licence.

Any problems post back here and I’ll try to help you out.

Neil

Re the cpmment abpout the alarm going off the following is how the MK3 works.

Lock car with key alarm not set.
Unlock with either the key or the remote and the alarm does not sound.

Lock the car with the remote and the alarm is set.
Unlock the car with the remote, the alarm does not sound as the remote disarms the alarm.

Lock the car with the remote and the alarm is set.
Unlock the car with the key, the alarm sounds as the key does not disarm the alarm.

Good call  will get on with it.

Barrie

OK one futher issue we know the NC1, the original car to late 08 but plenty cars registered in 09 as Mazda had too high a stock of the old model does not have a rolling code key.

The NC2 and NC3 do we know, if those cars work via this system as I think someone mentioned their keys may have a rolling code?

Now registered and up and running with autokey programming site  checked out the PATS thingy and it came up, just requires my outcode entering once I can get into the car via my ELM27 reader. Registered with Forscan and had confirmation email regards moderator approval (as advised by Neil) it’s all progressing now, hopefully have Forscan approval by the time my new key/fob arrives and I get the blank cut 

So far:

ÂŁ48 for the refurbished key (possibly cheaper elsewhere)

ÂŁ28 for the OBD11 reader (will use afterwards as required)

ÂŁ5 (provisionally) for the key cutting

£81 all in hopefully will get me sorted, IIRC Mazda was £280 to get to the same point, Timpsons, who knows?, they did say (when I went into the shop), the last one they did was around £240, they needed to confirm as parts needed to be bought in, so could have been dearer, had they bothered to ring me back . If I can get this to work, I’ll be well pleased 

Barrie