NC petrol cap

I just bought an NC having driven an NB for many years (not ready to part with that one yet though). But I can’t figure out what to do with the petrol filler cap when I’ve undone it, it doesn’t hang on anything and it just really gets in the way of the petrol pump nozzel. I just wondered what other owners did with theirs?!

And does anyone else find the seatbelt really uncomfortable? I’m only 5" and I never had this problem in my NB…

Happy Christmas

I just unscrew and then place the cap down, below the fill neck inside the recessed area.

I’ve had no issues with the seatbelt at all, but that might be a height issue perhaps?

You’re only 5 inches tall? How do you even open the door?

I’m nearer 6’ than 5’ and I find the seatbelt a little high on my neck, I don’t think there’s much you can do with it.

The fuel cap is even worse once you have a chrome surround on the hole, no where for it to rest.

I have often wondered the same thing about the fuel cap.
(Every time I fuel the car)
Most other cars have a neat solution, why not Mazda?

I’m pretty sure that on US spec cars, there’s a little hook on the filler door which would be handy. But then again, their filler cap is a different spec as well.

Something to do with different European standards I think… :thinking:

Hmm, my 2016 Mazda3 has a neat receptacle in the lid to park the cap during a fill.

But that lid swings out to be more vertical, like a door, and the fuel filler pocket in the wing has more room for that receptacle than the cramped NC which also mostly swings up.

I think safety is the main concern, with the filler high enough above the tank, and only then user convenience at a practical height for standing with nozzle in hand.

1 Like

SWMBO complains about it too.
So as an Xmas pressie the car is getting some of these furry things.
I have no idea if they’ll be OK or not, but they are cheap enough to throw away if no good.

I have things similar to those furry things and they do help with the seat belts.

Same here with the seat belt pads. I took them off for the MOT. Next trip without them my wife complains about the seat belt catching her neck, she’s shorter than me, so they work for her.

This is how you do it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Will give that a try on the next fill up :+1:

1 Like

I have the chrome filler cover and have to resort to a credit card to lever the cover up as its far too weighty and to release from its rest.
As for the seats, I’ve could not see over the bonnet so I have raised the rear seat brackets, drivers and passengers.

There is a spring loaded activator in the middle of the hinge, it sounds like your is probably
jammed/ gunked up. A little of your favourite lube around the plunger may help.

Failing that, there is better access on the underside to clean and lubricate, though you may have to remove the lid to do so.

If you’re feeling brave; if you press the lid inwards when it’s fully open you can disengage the lid from the surround. Never done it myself so don’t know if the spring is likely to depart with gusto.

hth

There’s a device on the underside of the filler flap to hold the cap while you refuel.

Is that the same “device” as @Squibnocket1 showed four posts above yours, or do you mean something different?

There is a “Hook” type of thing on mine.
BUT the plastic tie thing on the cap and filler makes it too short to hang it on!
The post above shows the threads wedged into the metal bit on the inside of the door itself.

i just let mine hang down on the plastic tether!

i guess ive been doing it wrong for the last 2 and a half years!
but im gonna go and have a look and see what hooks mine has.

ok, mine (nc2) has a hook on the flap but the plasic teather isnt long enough to reach it!

well despite the lanyard being a bit short, I have now managed to wedge the cap onto the flap similar to the photo from the man with the shiny shoes! by using the thread on the cap, no ideal, but it does work.

1 Like

Youre welcome, glad I could help.
Thanks for the shiny shoe compliment, very observant :slightly_smiling_face: