NC PRHT - Aerial Cable routing

Is there any issue with interference between the different aerial leads? Do I need to route them so they dont interfere with each other? If so I will need to rout one down each side of car & the 3rd down the centre console?? Anyway, just waiting for a 90deg SMA adapter before getting stuck in. I have the boot stripped out of liners/plastic mouldings … quite a simple job if you are careful how you remove the retainers (mainly pop type where you carefully pop out the centre bit & 3 screw type retainers which need the centre bit unscrewing with a bit of leverage to help the screw out…). Just wondering how I’m going to remove the trim inside so I can get to the areas where I’ll route the cables … any suggetstions?

Another thing to do is try to positon all the loom adaptor conectors so that they dont all jam up behind the headunit. I may need to extend some of the wiring… there seems a fair ammount of room on the glovebox side … the one plug that seems to be an issue is the one that plugs into the original loom… I was thinking that I could move the original connector to the drivers side & extend the wiring for the adaptor plug to allow for this movement…

I used the surround that came with the headunit. This needed about 3mm trimming off the top & bottom of the surround … careful trimming & the final result looks fine. Side to side was a snug fit between the side mounting plates of the metra fascia plate (also filed a chamfer on the leading edges of the 2 plastic side mounting plates to help when sliding the headunit in …) & the headunit.

Here is the label on red lead (power in):

Boot now back together. Rain stopped play…(where have I heared that before?)

Anyone know where to get good versions of these panel clips?

Your head unit will likely have a setting to power the antenna amplifier.

I routed my reversing camera wiring harness down the LHS of the car and the Radio stuff down the RH.

Also don’t forget that it is always best to fuse a live wire near the source, just in case anything gets nipped and grounded when you are refitting all the trims etc.

I hope it all works out for you, mine was a total success, very happy with it.

Routing of cables from boot to head unit area done. DAB cable along passenger door sill.
FM & 12V along driver door sill.
GPS along centre console.
All went well, aside from confusion over dealing with different aerial connector types!
Now I just need to plug in, check that everything works & finally find a way to get headunit adaptor cabling in behind or under headunit …
The weather has been a pain this week otherwise this would all have been done a few days ago …

1 Like

Well … one step closer. I adjusted length of loom & headunit now clips into place with no interference. All trim back in car except for bits around heaunit area & passenger door sill… rain has stopped play again…
MCX adaptor fitted for DAB … car back together … headunit & fascia just slid nicely into place.
Very happy - FM reception better than before, GPS now good & DAB has lots of good signal stations! The combined “roof” aerial really seems to work well…

By the way … GPS signal with magnetic receiver that came with stereo:

The satnav was struggling to position car on correct road before … will have to see what its like now when I go for a drive!

Some people might not like the slightly “jaunty” angle of aerial, but I think its fine …

I could have made up a wedge to straighten aerial, but to be honest its not worth it …

One last concern … how to improve wifi signal … at the moment stuck to bodywork behind glovebox…? Any thoughts anyone? Also going to try out AGAMA car launcher…

1 Like

I have now been for a test ride to check satnav. Set route then tried going a different way & satnav recalculated quite quickly & arrow icon always stayed on the correct road. So a big success!

A month on and all working well.

Moved wifi aerial location to cross bar at top of windscreen … seems to be working fine…

1 Like

Final comment … 2 months & the unit seems to have become a neccessity! Totaly trouble free! Even DAB is stable with some of the suspect local stations… DAB+ seems a good alternative! Only one small isue, the FM software seems a bit naff. Definitely recommend AGAMA car launcher (have upgraded to the pro version…)