NC rear abs sensor problem

Hi, my father recently bought a 2008 NC 1.8 that had an abs problem with the abs light illuminated all the time, when the codes were read it showed the drivers side rear sensor to be at fault.

We replaced the sensor with a genuine Mazda item and the abs light went out, cleared the codes in the system and all seemed fine until we took it for a drive and reached 40mph when the abs light came on again.

We read the codes and it had C1168 drivers side rear abs sensor coherency fault, checked all connections and checked the live readings when moving the car backwards and forwards and the sensor is reading ok, cleared the codes and went for a drive again and on came the abs light again at around 40mph, checked the codes again and C1168 is stored again.

Does anyone have any idea of how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Hmm, just a thought, but are all four tyres the same make and size and age and worn the same?

If those on the back are not well matched it might also cook up the diff.

I’ve had this fault complaint from ABS systems on two other cars in the past (not MX5) where the rolling resistance of the spare did not match the other three after a puncture took out one from the matched set. The spare had an identical circumference, but was a different brand.

Thanks for the reply, but yes the tyres are a matching pair that were replaced for mot a few months ago.

It could be a fault with the ABS ring rather than the sensor, check the toothed ring round the outer driveshaft joint for cracks or damage.

1 Like

Thanks we will do that, I thought it could be a possibility, Mazda don’t sell the ring separately but I see they can be gotten from aftermarket sellers tho.

I was about to ask, does it have an ABS ring.
My daughters old Suzuki swift had acracked ABS ring which threw up an ABS fault.

I would never have thought that a crack would cause the fault.

Ok, we have ordered an abs ring to see if that cure the issue, thanks for the help and I will post up if it cures the issue.

Hi there I have exactly the same issue.
Been under the car all morning and cleaned the abs ring and sensor. But still same. I did notice the rear right looks to have a larger gap from the abs ring than that of the one on the left.

Also been looking for spare sensors but no one has them any ideas.?