NC Rear brake caliper slide pins

Hi

I am renewing the caliper slider pins on the rear brakes on my 2007 2ltr NC.

I have the new pins and rubbers etc but the pins are different from each other. One is completely circular and the other has a flat along its length. Also, one has a hexagonal bolt shape at the end and one has an Allen key slot. Also the one with the Allen key slot in the end is thicker and longer. 

Which one goes at the top of the caliper and which goes to the bottom?

Thanks

Dave

Yes they are two different parts.

The Mazda parts diagram is less than helpfull appart from the part numbers.

Autolink show the parts but I think the pictures are wrong.

This picture shows the hex at the top.

I have done many NC car brakes but have never noticed the difference in the two parts.

These are the pins you need. https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/rear-caliper-slider-mk3-35-p-3416.html

Both should be the same length and fitment save for one has the flat along it’s length. In the link you specify which pin you want to order, top or bottom. I can’t remember which is which tbh, maybe someone can input that info.

From your description you may have at least one pin incorrect I’ve never used an allen key to release the slide pins on MK3 rear brakes.

Mick,

The OP has already said he has the new pins, he is not asking which one to purchase.

The allen key slot the poster talks about are at the blind end where it sits in the caliper not the part you screw the caliper retaing bolts into.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MK3-2005-2014-Rear-brake-caliper-guide-slider-pin-kit-S7298AP/333121800208?epid=9030588435&hash=item4d8f9b4810:g:z0kAAOSw57ZcvXfE

I recently changed the rear slider pins with those in the above link.
The top and bottom are identical other than the flat along the length of one.
As can be seen from the pictures, they are the same length and each has a hexagon ( to hold with an open-ended spanner when tightening the retaining bolts ).
So from your description, it sounds as though one of your new pins is incorrect.

Even more confusing, why would there be an hex key provision at the blind end? Maybe the link is needed he has the wrong part.

I’d be interested to learn why one has a machined flat. ??

When I bought my car, it had a small amount of brake judder, I could see that the rear discs were recently replaced, so I decided I’d change the fronts.

The judder didn’t go away, so I also replaced the rears.

The judder went initially, but as the pads have worn in, a slight judder has returned.

This has got me thinking, are the pins worn, or are they fitted incorrectly, does the machined flat have any bearing on operation.