NC slider pins. OEM parts or aftermarket?

So I’ve decided it’s time to tart up and paint my front brake callipers as they are looking pretty rusty and letting the car down. (Plus I needed a project as I am going stir crazy during yet another lockdown!)
On stripping them down I found that the slider pins were a little corroded so am going to replace them and fit new seals and rubber parts at the same time.
I’ve costed up a set of new parts and am quite surprised at the difference between OEM ( ~£34 per side from MX5Parts) and after market (~£13 per side from MX5City)
For piece of mind I am erring towards using the proper Mazda parts but at nearly 3x the price I was wondering if I would be throwing money away needlessly. Has anyone used the aftermarket parts and if so, were they any good? Would be really grateful for any advice or recommendations. Many thanks.

MX-5 mk3 (autolinkmx5.com)

This is a club member and a well trusted supplier. He is using Mazda parts, so I would say the pattern ones are not as good

That was my suspicion but wanted to check what others thought. Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just replaced all the slider pins/rubber seals and clips on all my pads/front and back all purchased on ebay total cost around £40 all good remember to use proper grease not copper grease

Thats on my nc

Make sure any grease you use is HMP (high melting point)

Proper grease for these is Red Rubber grease, anything else will damage the rubbers

2 Likes

[quote=“gareth_j, post:4, topic:117423, full:true”]
I have just replaced all the slider pins/rubber seals and clips on all my pads/front and back all purchased on ebay total cost around £40 all good remember to use proper grease not copper grease
[/quote

Hi Gareth, thanks for your reply. Presumably at £40 those are aftermarket parts(?) If you’ve only just fitted them I guess it’s too early to know how they will perform over time but do you have any thoughts about their quality and how well they fitted?
Duly noted about using the right grease.

1 Like

I used these

No problems so far.

Hi ben66 the slider pins and seals were aftermarket ones and seem to be well made/machined after cleaning up the carrier and the whole where the pins fit they fitted very well plenty of grease was also used The clips and small springs for the pads also seem of good quality i replaced thease as the aftermarket pads i fitted didnt come with any
My car has been put in the garage now and i dont have a problem with the handbrake sticking on now its only been in the garage for 6 weeks

Those are the ones i used

Thanks to all for your help and advice. Good to know that people have some good experience with the after market parts so gives me some confidence to get ordering.

Finally finished and am happy with the end results. Ended up doing a full rebuild (pistons, slider pins and new seals). Hopefully will get them on the car this weekend if it ever stops raining! Ended up going for an after market kit from Brakes International. Seemed pretty good quality but only time will tell. Thanks for the help and advice. Some before and after pics below.

1 Like

That looks a very good job. I’m waiting to get same stickers for my own. Nice work!!