NC suspension bushings advice please

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC
  2. I’m based near: __Preston, Lancs
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ suspension bushings

Evening boys and girls! My NC is suffering from a clunking suspension. As one of the members advised, a combination of bilstein shocks and eibach springs might be the culprit. Anyway, I jacked the car up today and noticed that the rubber bushes are knackered on the rear trailing arms. Now, I know there are plenty of poly bushes available but I dont think its something i need and like. They’re hard, need greasing and the cheap one don’t fit etc. My 5 is a weekend toy, not a track racing weapon. Are there any rubber replacements available at all? Thanks in advance, Dave.

Have you tried MX5 parts??

1 Like

Personally, I like sticking to standard for road use, the standard arms/bushes have lasted since new I assume without any greasing, ‘if it’s not broke don’t fix it’. Mazda spent millions developing your car why change it, just replace with Mazda original and forget.

I do however normally use good quality polly bushes (Superflex ) anti roll bar bushes and lubricate on assembly with ceramic grease.

If you do go with polly bushes I would use top quality ones e.g. Superflex as supplied by Mx5 Parts and make sure they are road versions not hard race types.

Roy

1 Like

I haven’t spoken to them but there’s nothing listed on the website apart from poly bushes

Thats what meant Roy- sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. I’m after rubber bushes, not the poly ones. Poly just don’t seem appealing to me. I don’t really need them to outlive the car, if the rubber ones can serve me for another 20 years I’ll be more than happy

Autolink??

I think the rubber bushes are moulded into the complete arm so you will need to buy the arm; these are available (Mazda original) from Mx5 Parts but I think under ‘Suspension Parts’ not ‘Bushes’
I think the costs will be similar to buying Polly bushes.

Roy

1 Like

Bushes can be pressed out, otherwise polybushes wouldnt be available.

If you’re after standard bushes isn’t it often/normally the case that you’re as well to buy complete new arms rather than go to all the trouble of pressing old ones out and new ones back in - ie in terms of total time and cost?

But if you do go down the route of fitting aftermarket bushes I’d very strongly suggest SuperPro rather than any of the other “poly” bush options.

1 Like

Agreed, Superpro (Australian but with worldwide centres) or Superflex are top end bushes in my view.

Superflex was started by Chris Winter who used to be with Superpro before starting Superflex.

Roy

Good luck finding separate rubber bushes.
Good luck with pressing the old ones out too :+1:

It’s debateable who is the best, but my money goes to Powerflex every time.

Thanks. Well, I’ve learnt there are no oem bushes for the wishbones, I would have to replace the whole arms which I won’t be doing. I’m just a bit concerned poly bushes will affect the comfort significantly

It’s your choice, new arms or Polybushes, there are Pros and cons for both.
Check out your front lower wishbone rear bushes, they’re likely to be knackered too unless they’ve been replaced.

Yes, I’ve heard they’re likely to go first. Thanks

Jesus christ, so replacing bushes with OEM for the front lower arms will be 400+ pounds in parts???

Quick search turns up :~

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/mazda/mx-5-iii-nc/18887/10672-arm-bushes#10113

Might be worth contacting them.

1 Like

Brilliant! That’s never come up in my searches