NC-Water ingress to boot

Hi. Can anyone please identify the likely route/s for water ingress into the boot of an NC?

My NC leaked around the third brake light.

Could have a look there first.

Blocked drain tubes can lead to a wet boot.

Hi Terry, my previous nc got wet in the boot on the left hand side , turned out to be blocked drain tube . If you shine a torch behind either side of the seat backs into the parcel shelf floor area I could see water standing …not able to flow out so with the flexible wire with brush to the rescue and a quick prod down the appropriate tube entry and hey presto all clear.

1 Like

What’s the fix for 3rd brake light wet boot? I’ve cleared drain holes but want to be over-cautious as to prevent further dampness.

Thanks!

Another for a blocked tube. We had to clear it from below as the brush could not clear it from above.

It was a soft top not RC.

Many thanks to all for the replies.

I have never been able to master the cleaning of the tubes, as I cannot locate the entrance to each one. Any tips on that would be useful. The car is a soft top.

Try this
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=389787

1 Like

My top tip from experience is:
(a) buy trombone brush
(b) cut brush off one end
© when searching for hole (giggedy) aim for the gearstick. You’re almost aiming horizontally than vertically.

Otherwise there’s a way of slotting the trombone brush vertically down between trim panels - worked fine for passenger side but struggled with it driver side.

Hope this information from rainy Wales helps!

I find that aiming more towards the front of the car rather than at the gearstick works.

You do need to make sure that the brush of the cleaner is angled downwards as it goes into the hole and as you feed it in push downwards rather than forwards. What you have to imagine is that the drain hole is about an inch towards the front of the car from the hole that you are feeding the brush in.

I’ve used all methods to try finding those drain hole entry points, only ever found the one on the passenger side, it was clear.

I’ve tried and tried on the driver side and gave up.

Of course my drains gush like a gushing thing should so all ok, it can stay lost, not found on the drivers side for now.

Of course if you can’t find the drain hole to poke your implement down just pour some water around the hood, you’ll soon find out if it gushes out the bottom holes, or of course wets your boot even more.

Maybe you will want to not do that last suggestion but it solved my curious mind.

Just to add I had a little drip into the boot myself, solved by tightening up the left deck plate bolt, it had somehow work a half turn loose. Must add that was on my Mk2.

My wifes MX5 is parked on our driveway overnight and is on quite a slope. We found out by accident (I watched her pulling away one day) that water collects under the boot lid in the recesses  at the side of the seals.

If she pulled away too quickly the water sloshed over the seal and into the boot. She now sets off very gently allowing the water to drain properly. (leaving a lot of water in her wake).

Just a thought if you park up with the nose facing downhill. Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for the tips MickAP and MX-5 Widower

Good news for me is that the drains are running freely. The bad news, is the boot floor is quite rusty and pitted. Just about to wire brush and paint with blue Hammerite.

The carpet and acoustic backing, are drying nicely in the airing cupboard. Looks like a process of elimination is on the cards!

Do check the third brake light. i removed the light and used a blob of clear silicone in the spigot holes then replaced the light with a new seal.

Worth trying.

1 Like

As well as an ill-fitting boot-lid surround-seal you might also check if the boot’s very thin rubber vent flaps are working properly and not missing. 

Check if the rubber surround will grip a sheet of paper all around when the boot lid is closed; if not then either the rubber needs replacing or the lid needs adjusting.  Trunk lid adjustment is on the 23rd page of the Mellens file.

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-Miata-2006-2007/body_panels.pdf

The flaps are on the outer face of the Extractor Chambers, which are behind the bumper immediately below the brake light in each cluster.   See item 12 in the Mellens file, page 29 immediately after the two sections on the hood drains.  It is possible to reach them by hand up past the exhaust pipe without removing anything.  I checked mine when I got the NC because on my old Vectra the similar vents were caked solid with mud after SWMBO took the Vectra exploring in the countryside a couple of times.

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-Miata-2006-2007/exterior_trim.pdf

Good luck

With the floor pan now painted,and the carpet dry, the next thing is to check the light and boot seals.

Is the light easy to remove? I can feel a drip on the right hand fixing post. It looks like the assembly lifts off with some gentle persuasion.

I assume your NC has a soft top?  If so then according to the Mellens file (page 30,31) the tabs of the clips are squeezable and it just pops off, unless it has already been siliconed… 

You then have five holes for the water to enter through.  I’ve not found any mention of a sealing washer or gasket, unless the clips have a sealing washer. 

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-Miata-2006-2007/lighting_system.pdf

If your boot is getting wet inside then check the chrome plate where the frankeinstein bolts go, they might be looseÂ