NC Weight Limit

Just read on an American site that the weight limit you can carry in an NC is 340lbs. Exactly the weight of my wife and me.

So, if that is correct how do we set off for two weeks in France with no luggage at all?   

Hmm, the weight is a moveable feast.  The ‘maximum mass’ written on the label on the inside of the drivers door B-pillar is the maximum for the tyre loading, and with my car (NC with PRHT) it is 1365kg for the 84W original tyres.  But I have 88W tyres so the actual limit goes up. 

The Curb weight quoted for the various models means ready to drive, ie with all fluids and a full tankful. Which means for my car there is nominally something like 200kg available for passengers and kit. Also the manual suggests it expects that the average person weighs 75kg (so two are 330lbs), which then leaves 50kg for kit.

Interestingly looking at the different models of NC they vary the ‘maximum mass’ limit depending on equipment, eg PRHT adds quite a lot, LSD adds a few, 6 speed adds a few, autobox adds several, some of the trim levels add a lot.  So I’m guessing that there is a standard value for passenger and kit, and it might be the round number of 200kg (440lbs) for all of them.

In the limit you could always take it to a weighbridge and find out!

Fitting different tires does not increase your weight limit as that limit is set when the vehicle gains it’s type approval carrying more weight than specified could result in you being prosecuted for no insurance as one of our engineers at work found out when he overloaded his car and had a minor accident