NC1 2.0 sport lowered suspension springs Eibach 30mm vs Mazdaspeed etc

Firstly I apologise if this appears to be an old topic as I have read many threads on NC suspension however they don’t answer the questions I have. I have just bought a completely standard low mileage 2007 NC1 2.0 sport and would like to lower it to lose the famous 4x4 look plus I also find it a bit wayward at speed compared to my 1990 NA.

I live on the edge of the new forest which has some great roads but with some great big pot holes so I would like to find a set of springs that reduces the ride height a bit but not too much (30mm) but preserves the ride comfort of the standard car. I understand that Mazda sold a set of lowered springs (blue) which may have been made by Eibach which may or may not be the same as the (black) sets sold by MX5 parts etc however are the spring rates the same Blue vs Black? and will they give a similar ride to the standard sports set on my car?

I also understand some markets received the car with a lower ride height as standard and would like to know if the Blue or Black Eibach springs are these springs? if they aren’t, are they available in the UK?. I am a great believer that if Mazda with all their R&D developed a spring for the car then it would probably be a good place to start.

Any advice and comparison of the above set ups using the standard Bilstein shocks to the standard car would be most appreciated. BTW I don’t have the budget to put on coliovers so please don’t say that’s what I should do.

Many Thanks

I was in a similar position a month ago. I did my research and was led to believe that Mazda offered lower springs from new as a (paid for) post purchase option. The springs offered were 30mm lower and made by Eibach and are indeed the kit currently offered by several suppliers. They have the part number E10-55-010-01-22.

Fitting them has indeed lowered my car with no noticeable difference in ride comfort. They are quite straightforward to fit though getting the parts off the rear requires some dismantling of the suspension arms.

Everyone recommends having a full wheel alignment done afterwards (budget around £80-£120 depending on your alignment service.

Hope that helps

Gary

I paid the extra and got the Mazdaspeed springs. A decision I have never regretted. They don’t lower the front as much as the Eibach set and are a progressive rate spring.

1 Like

Hi Many thanks for your feedback, I think I am tending towards the Mazda springs as I only want to do it the once, cheers

I recently had Mazda lowering springs -30mm (blue in colour) supplied and fitted to my 2010 Miyako by my Mazda dealership followed by a 4 wheel alignment check / set. The ride quality is good and the handling is ideal for everyday road use. A set of quality matched tyres at the correct pressure is a must to get the best out of the car.

Picture of lowered car -

1 Like

How much do Mazda charge all in?

Total cost in late December 2019 including the alignment check / set was £395. That was at the Mazda dealership in Boston Lincolnshire.

They also supplied a loan car for the day while the work was being carried out.

2 Likes

That seams a pretty good price and not worth the bother of doing it myself if you believe the price of the springs alone on MX5 parts website £333.

1 Like

On my invoice from the Mazda dealership the Mazda lowering kit was part number M410077779 price £161.20

£395 … That’s because they used the Eibach ones

Have taken the plunge and bought a set of new - old stock blue Mazda springs for £185 from a Mazda dealer on EBay, this should give me something to play with if we are stuck inside for weeks

I have had my NC for just over a week and I am likely to be doing exactly the same. Interesting you state that as it is it appears wayward. I thought the same having jumped out of my stock NB.
It will be good to hear how you get on. .

I had fitted the Black eibach springs and wished I had jumped for the Mazda Blue ones just for the fact that they were manufactured for the car and sold by dealerships.
I have the nc1 2.0 sport and so a bit heavier than the 1.8 version and found that, although the ride was better and more sporty with the lowering springs, the car was far too low. Lower than the 30mm specified and so scraped on all speed humps if two occupants, not practical.
The Mazdaspeed springs may not droop as much as the Eibach ones so maybe a better option. However I was not going along the route of trying every spring on the market so I went and bought the Meister r coilovers, which I am pleased to say are fab, no more scraping on any speed humps, pot holes, anything even with a full load and 2 in the car, plus its full adjustable.

I too would describe my 2008 NC handling as slightly wayward. I put it down to 12 year old shocks rather than the springs. Went the eibach/Bilstein route, but bought the -35mm kit which was too much and scraped everywhere. Maybe the -30 kit would have been better, but swapped to Meister CRD, not a cheap option but gives ride height adjustability as well as damper control. Worth the investment in my opinion.