NC1 before, during and after

Hello everyone,

I’ve been meaning to add the details of my cars progress on this forum for months, but I never seem to have the time. Ideally, I would have liked to provide a really detailed post, but a quick update will have to do and is better than nothing.

I purchased my Winning Blue NC1 back in November 2017 after months of searching for a good example. When I purchased it I had the intention of just keeping things simple and leaving it pretty much standard so I can take it out for weekend drives and do the odd track day. Well, that was the idea, but it soon got out of control and now it is pretty much only used as a track car (a very well cared for track car that is)!

Apart from the alignment and corner weighting at Roddisons, and the braided brake lines at Corten Miller, everything else has been installed by myself as I quite enjoy it and it certainly helps to keep the costs down. A full list of everything that I have done to the car since I purchased it (that I can remember anyway):

Suspension:
Eibach lowering springs (now removed), Eibach anti roll bars, Rota Titan alloy wheels, Federal 595RSR tyres, MeisterR Clubrace coilovers, Roddisons geometry setup and corner weighted, new drop links all round, rear upper Eibach strut brace.

Engine:
I.L Motorsport 4 - 1 Exhaust manifold, remap at Autotronix, I.L Motorsport coolant expansion tank, coolant change with new thermostat, new spark plugs, engine oil change every 2000 miles or 5 track days

Drivetrain:
Gearbox oil changed every 10,000 miles, Differential oil changed every 2 to 3 track days (depends how hard it was pushed)

Interior:
Mirco bucket seat with PCI sliding rail, TRS 6 point harness, Cobalt door bushings, I.L Motorsport gear knob, Royal Steering Wheel, 5Race roll bar, interior trim behind seats removed.

Exterior:
Rota Titan alloy wheels, Federal 595 RSR tyres, EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads, I.L Motorsport steel braided brake lines, stubby aerial, ducktail spoiler, Renovo hood treatment, polished and waxed.

The before, during and after photos:

The day I purchased the car. Bought with 59K miles on the clock:
When purchased

Not long after the purchase, getting used to the car:
When purchased woodhall spa 1
When purchased woodhall 2

Taking the car to Blyton for its first track day. The car is totally standard apart from EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads:
First Blyton trackday

The track day at Blyton was great fun, even though the tyres were rubbish and the car was standard. It was after this track day that the performance modifications began, with Eibach lowering springs and a geometry setup at Roddisons being first.

After installing Eibach springs:
After springs 1 After springs 2

Installing the springs made a big difference to the handling of the car. But what surprised me most was that the ride comfort wasn’t negatively impacted. The springs were progressive rate springs.

After installing the springs it was time to see how they performed at Blyton:
After springs Blyton trackday
After springs Blyton 2

The car certainly performed better with just the springs but you can see from the images how much body roll the car still had. This meant it was time to install some Eibach anti roll bars and whilst installing them it made sense to do some under body treatment too:
Underbody treatment 1
Underbody treatment 2
Under body treatment 3
Sway bars 2
Swaybar 3

After installing the sway bars the car was transformed. The roll was so much less and the car just felt planted. After this I did a track day at Cadwell where a met another MX5 owner who took me out in his NC1 that was fitted with wider wheels and Federal 595 RSR tyres. I couldn’t believe the level of grip he had compare to mine so after the track day it was time to spend some more money!

New wheels and rubber installed (with the spoiler, but that comes much later):
Genral on drive phot all done

After all of the aforementioned modifications, I kept the car like this for a while and only made minor changes such as a new weighted gear knob, Royal Steering Wheel, new coolant expansion tank and general maintenance.

After running the car with its current mods for around a year, it was time to take it to the next level and install some Meister R Clubrace coilovers, full geo setup at corner weighting at Roddisons. This is because I was doing track days more than I was driving it on the road, and I found that I needed the ability to alter the suspension stiffness when going from track to track. Out came the wallet again!:

Meister install 1

Roddisons after Meisters for alignment and corner weighting

The Meister’s really transformed the car into something pretty capable, in the bends at least. To help on the straights, it was time to squeeze a bit more performance out of the engine, so I installed a I.L Motorsport 4 to 1 exhaust manifold and send it to Autotronix for a remap. Although this didn’t give you a ‘pin you in the seat’ type of gain, it certainly does give a noticeable difference to the power. before the car felt like it was straining at full chat, where now it seems to pick up the revs much more quickly. The pops and bangs out of the exhaust is worth the money on the upgrade just on its own! I also installed a Cobalt backbox to give the car more sound, as when you’re on track with a helmet on it is hard to hear the engine revs, and the last thing you want to be doing is looking down at the dials when you’re out on track!

Exhaust installation:
Installing exhaust 1
Installing exhaust 2

After these mods I found that I was slipping out of my seat when on track which is rubbish for lap times and pretty dangerous. It was time to upgrade the seat with a Mirco bucket seat with sliding PCI rail and TRS harness:

The bucket seat and harness made a huge difference when on track, you definitely do feel part of the car. When on track, and being a lot faster than I was when I first got the car, I felt it was time to install a roll bar for safety. For this I went with the 5Race roll bar:
Roll bar 1
Roll bar 2
Roll bar 3 stripped interior
Rollbar installed 1
Rollbar installed 2

You’ll see from the above images that I now also have a ducktail spoiler installed. This is for cosmetic reasons only, with all of the other modifications now installed, I felt that the back end needed beefing up a bit, and the ducktail was just the job.

I have missed many other bits that I have done a long the way, but hopefully this brief post gives an insight into mine and my cars journey. If I were to do anything to the car next, it would be the BBR Super 225 conversion, but I can’t quite justify spending that amount of money at this moment in time. Who knows, maybe in the future I will get it done? So watch this space.

A few general images of the car to finish:
General photo on driveway with spoiler and Meisters
MX5 Cadwell 1
MX5 Cadwell 2
Bedford Track day

12 Likes

An excellent write up and an excellent looking car you got there.
I’m only 4.5 months into ownership and I’m absolutely loving it

1 Like

Thanks Reggie. Yes, they’re great little cars aren’t they. The only downside to mine now is it’s quite uncomfortable for normal driving. I have to wear earplugs for any long distances, and that’s because of the road noise since I removed the interior trim! It is a small price to pay when you get to the track though as it is so much fun. Plus it’s not my daily driver so I can get away with it being more track focused.

Great write up there and some great upgrades on that car! Love the colour with the wheels and ride height etc

1 Like

Loving the thread , great to see another nc getting the love.
I’ve done very similar mods to my own nc1 over the last year or two and was toying with beefing up the roll bar and love the look of yours, are you super happy with fitment and finish?I can almost feel the wallet getting lighter!
also what wheel width and offset did you go with please?
I’m obsessed with looking at supercharging mine at the moment but like yourself with the BBR upgrade I just can’t warrant that sort of spend.
Thanks kev.

1 Like

I’m giving that very serious thought too I must admit. I don’t need 2 whole kidneys… :astonished:

1 Like

Thanks suggs_84.

2 Likes

Thanks Kev.

With regards to the roll bar, yes I am really happy with it. There are a couple of very minor imperfections with regards to the finish, such as tiny rough sections to the metal, almost as if it was painted without being fully cleaned, but I’m being really picky.

If you do buy the same bar as mine, buy it from 5Race website directly, as it’s around £25 cheaper than buying it via ebay. Well it was when I purchased mine anyway.

My wheels are 17x7.5 E45. They fit the car without the need to roll the wheel arches etc. I do believe I could have gone slightly wider on the offset without having to roll the arches, but I thought I would play it safe and get wheels which I knew would give me no problems with regards to rubbing.

Craig

Thanks for the very helpful reply Craig, I’ve been on the 5race website for a look and will be ordering one as soon as I get the car back on the ground.
front subframe and bits at powdercoaters in prep for pollybushing and then fit the new brakes, then roll bar, then maybe wheels, then…
You get the idea!
Kev.

1 Like

Ha, it never ends does it!

If you are upgrading the Engine I can recommend the CM Rotrex Supercharger kit.
I was the first one to have it fitted.I ran it for a couple of years & it was faultless, I wish I still had it!
Take their demo for a test drive. You know if you have the BBR 225 you will still want more so get it right first time & shoot for 300!

The Corten Miller supercharger kit does look good, and would definitively would be my preference over turbocharging due to the lower running temps. I’m still drawn to ITB’s and the NA route though. I used to have ITB’s back in the day on my Nova SR and they sounded great, maybe that’s why I’m drawn to them over other options even though you don’t get as much power?

I can’t afford either option though so I need to get them out of my mind!

1 Like

Nova SR, now THAT is some old skool cool riight there… when was the last time you saw one!

1 Like

The ITB’s are a lovely thing, so I can understand your thinking! When they were launched by BBR I was very tempted, but I have promised myself to leave my MX5 standard this time. Its my 6th & I have done the lot including MP62 & Rotrex Supercharging the former also having Nitrous!
The problem with people like us the Modding bug never goes away - I am 67, I should be over all this by now but I have just bought a TVR Griff 500 to play with!

3 Likes

My other half keeps asking when I will grow out of it. NEVER! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was Jamaican yellow with chocolate brown interior! How awful.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say awful, i would just say 80’s :rofl:

1 Like