NC1 Double Din Fascia

Hi all,

Was hoping to pick some brains regarding the quality of the different double din fascias available on the market for the NC1. I’ve currently got an Android Auto headunit fitted with the Connects2 CTKMZ02 fascia but the final result isn’t a particuarly neat fit. I did search around for the Autoleads FP-26-05 alternative and ordered one from Dynamic Sounds but was sent the Connects2 one. On further enquiry, it turns out the Autoleads product is discontinued and replaced by the Connects2 product, as the two companies are now one in the same.

This seems to leave two options:

This genuine Mazda fascia: https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/radio-face-plate-genuine-mazda-mk3-p-3039.html

Or this Celsus fascia: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1629500874?iid=312639461161

Has anyone had any experience with fitting any of these? Is the final result worth their slightly eye-watering prices?

Was it the fitting kit you purchased from Dynamic sounds?

I have the Connects 2 kit, admit it’s a few years old now (quality could have changed) fits and looks perfect and also matches the other plastics on the dash ok.

How are you having problems, would it be the trim piece that came with the radio? I didn’t use that I used the trim from the kit, that fitted better looks more flush with the surround and head unit.

Yes the kit I have currently fitted is from Dynamic Sounds too.

Here’s an image:

The panel gap between the fascia and the section with the hazard lights button is pretty noticeable and the OEM side panels don’t seem to fit quite right either, they don’t firmly click back into place and can be removed with a slight nudge of a finger. There’s also a sizeable gap underneath but this can’t be seen.

There is also the gap around the radio, which I’d like to solve but that’s a secondary issue. I used the trim piece from the kit, not the radio.

I’ve fettled with it as much as I can but can’t seem to improve it.

Does seem slightly different to my Connects2 kit. The trim piece is tighter fitting on mine.
Did you manage to cram all the harnesses in ok, in my previous head unit (Alpine) it was a right job to get the unit to click in, I had to rearrange all the cables.

Interestingly that looks the the discontinued Autoleads kit I attempted to purchase from Dynamic Sounds: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-fp-26-05-mazda-mx5-single-double-din-fascia-panel-adaptor.html

They actually send out the one I’ve got.

Edit: I should say the second kit I tried to purchase from Dynamic Sounds. The one I have is from them too but was part of a bundle with the cables.

Edit 2: In answer to you; yeah, I crammed the harnesses in good and proper.

That kit fitted to mine was purchased secondhand, from another member. It’s definitely a Connects2 kit, it came with everything in its original manufacturer’s packaging. Around 5-6 years ago.

Hmm well that is a head scratcher.

The one I’ve currently got was bought from Dynamic Sounds eBay store and is branded as Connects2: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Single-or-Double-Din-Car-Stereo-Fascia-Wiring-Kit-for-Mazda-MX-5-2006-2008/352270259143?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Unless you’ve posted the wrong link, there’s nothing on that link to say it’s a Connects2 kit.
Your pictured kit fitted in the car isn’t the same kit as mine, definitely not. I think there’s your problem, have they tried to pass it off as a Connects kit?
Dynamic sounds have usually been good with me, bought quite a few parts off them, all good.:+1:

There’s a Connects2 logo on the image on the right hand side. The packaging also had Connects2 on it, and when I emailed Dynamic Sounds they said the Connects2 kit is the only one they sell now due to the Autoleads kit being discontinued when the companies merged.

Also, every existing listing for the Autoleads kits seems to resemble the one you have, hence my confusion. The giveaway is the protruding section under the double din opening, where mine is totally flat.

Silly question time.

Did you remove the plastic spring clips from the original fascia and put them on the aftermarket one?

I had a generic fascia that fitted similarly to yours until i realised I had left the clips on the original radio.

Once they’ve been moved over it fitted like a glove even without the screws securing it.

1 Like

Are those the four little white clips? If so, yeah I did. One got damaged but the fitment issue doesn’t seem to be coming from there.

Is almost as if it’s too small. If I push the bottom in the top pops out and vice versa. I check all the clearances but nothing seems to be obstructing it. It’s just not quite ‘right’.

Hey @Gambling93 I just saw this in the for sale section and thought of your thread:

Just an update for anyone who may stumble upon this in the future.

In the end I went and splashed out on a Metra Fascia (which I believe was the American brand for the Autoleads fascia) and it’s a much better fit. It also seems to closely resemble the fascia @MickAP has posted above.

4 Likes

Yep that’s looks the business.:+1:

1 Like