NC2 6sp Brass Shifter Bush

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ 2.0 NC2
  2. I’m based near: __ KEnt
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ NC2 6sp Brass Shifter Bush

Hi guys

I’m planning on doing a gearbox oil change. At the same time, I would like to change to a brass bush.
However, I am struggling to find one for the NC2 6SP. There is one on Jass Performance, but it specifically says it is for the NC1.

There is one for the NC2 on MX5 parts, but it says it is not available.

Couple of questions.

1. Has anyone done this change on an NC2, is it a worth while mod?
  2. If you have done the change, where did you source your bush from?

I’ve done a search, but can’t find anything really conclusive.

Thanks

Antony

try duratecnc in the yorkshire region maybe ??

Got mine from Moss .I have a NC 1. I think it is better But you will need to remove a lot of trim to fit it. Upgraded Gear Lever Bronze Bush - Accessories - Clutch, Gearbox & Drivetrain - MX-5 Mk3 (NC) - Mazda - Select Model

My understanding was it was only the NC1 that benefitted from an upgraded shifter bush?

I’d presumed because any weakness/problem had been rectified, which is maybe why you can’t find a suitable upgrade part for the NC2? I could be wrong though!

When you’re doing the oil change don’t forget to add oil to the turret. I wouldn’t bother with the brass shifter.

I ordered a 6 speed shifter brass bush from BOFI Racing for my NC 3.75. Didn’t realise it was probably only for the NC1, anyways it most definitely didn’t fit, I got a refund.

Mine already had a brass shifter bush fitted though, did these actually come as standard fit?

As mentioned I think the only place doing them (check fitment model/year etc) were DuratecNC.

The NC1 comes with a nylon bush. I replaced mine with the Bofi Racing one a few months ago and it definitely improved it. A more of a positive and precise feel to it.

1 Like

I got mine from here

Also NC1 only?

To clear up the confusion once again the 5spd NC 'box does not need an upgrade. The 6spd does benefit because it never fitted properly from the factory.
It’s as simple as that and it’s nothing to do with age. The reason people sell the 5spd bush for the NC is because it’s the same one as previous models so they can sell more per batch made.
If you can sell X amount of bushes per X amount of time it’s worth doing, if you can’t it’s not. It’s basic primary school business acumen.
There is no point in setting up a machine to create 100 bushes to sell over 4 years or whatever.

When I was running at full steam I had a turnover which forced me into being VAT reg, this meant I could deal with MX5parts (because they’re VAT reg too) so they bought and sold them aswell. Now i’ve taken my foot off the gas to pursue other things I’m no longer VAT reg so it’s no longer viable to sell onto businesses who are.
Market has shrunk, components are no longer made, end of story.

The same will happen with my gearbox oil, it works, nobody else’s does, yet when sales drop and it’s no longer a viable proposition it’ll get pulled from the market and we move onto more profitable work like repairing broken gearboxes.
Whatever the market creates we fix it to make a living.
You are the market so prevention or cure is up to you.
I think the only unfair aspect is one owners frugality often ends up with the next owner paying for it.

Does Stock still exist for me to purchase a 6spd bush and the requisite litres of gearbox oil ?

What’s the cost of 2 litres of g/box oil delivered??
:sunglasses: