NC2 - Sony XAV-AX3005DB install questions

Hi all, just bought a 2011 Miyako last week and joined the forum, hoping to learn more as this is my first MX-5.

First little project is that I’m intending to upgrade on the stock radio (non Bose) for android auto. Fairly clear on parts required, however, I am still unsure about a few things and would appreciate input on the following:

1. For android auto to work the phone has to be kept plugged in via USB which means I need to locate the phone somewhere and route the USB cable accordingly. I’d rather not obscure any of the windscreen or dash so am considering the following
    i) the cubby hole between seats - although it’s not that convenient, I don’t really have anything else to put there so seems a good accessible place and better than the glove box for reaching if required. Not sure how difficult it will be to run a USB cable into this box.
    ii) the drivers side cubby hole to the below right of the steering wheel - it’s a small gap that fits well but I’d need I can find a way to prevent the phone flying out under acceleration. This would be my preference overall due to ease of access and ease of cable route but can’t find anyone who has done similar.
    iii) the centre console by removing the cup holder divider. My least preferred option as we actually will use them as cup holders on long trips.
    Has anyone tried routing USB/adding a phone holder in these locations? Do you have any advice?

2. The rear speakers don’t seem to work at all at present. Even with the fader to full rear and volume up there is no sounds. I removed the blanking panel between them and can feel that there are speaker cones present so it seems strange that they produce no sound. Has anyone else experienced this and is it something I can resolve as part of fitting the new stereo?

3. I’m told that I’ll need to buy a windscreen DAB antenna as the NC2 stock antenna is already powered so isn’t compatible with FM/DAB amplified splitters. Is this information correct and if so does anyone recommend a particular model of windscreen antenna? How hard is it to fit these to the windscreen? I know I need to earth them to the pillar but am a bit wary about removing the plastic trim in this location.

4. I’ve heard warnings about an annoying M10 bolt that needs to be removed to replace the radio via the drivers foot well. Do I need a particular tool for this or is an adjustable spanner going to be sufficient?

Love the car so far. Any help on any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Working here with NC1 which is slightly different centre console/lower dash. I’ve got my phone in the centre console cubby by removing the cup holders and replacing it with the larger box type cubby with 12v socket. The phone fits in there great, I ran the USB cable under the console from the radio which is pretty easy but needs the console removing for a better fit.
Siting the DAB antenna is just a matter of removing the plastic trim from the A pillar, this pulls off towards you after first removing hood locating peg bracket whichever side you position the ariel. Routing the cable should be easy enough working from the side/under the where the radio is located.
Regards the 10mm security bolt, well that may not be fitted, not sure on the NC2. If the radio fails to pull out after removing the front screws then it could be, others may help with that one. You would need a 10mm socket fitted to a long extension bar if that bolt is present, about 6-8 inches long.
Regards the rear speakers, you may well find out something is amiss re wiring when you install your new head unit, sort of wait and see.

Well worth fitting the Android Auto unit, I fitted this (JVC) not so long ago but Covid-19 restrictions have prevented me using the car to fully test it out, but for just a few miles.

1 Like

Thinking about similar, but am aware that cable less android auto is available on some phone/head unit combinations. Did you investigate this?

Also, regarding the rear speakers, are they not only available with the Boss setup?

Mine hasn’t got Bose sound, the rear speakers were factory installed.
Must say I seem to get a better sound from them since installing the JVC head unit. They are only going to be like a background sound coming from them, that’s all they were intended for.

1 Like

Rear speakers work on my 2008 NC Niseko with standard Mazda stereo (NOT Bose). Remember they are small and weedy with no bass, and don’t have much volume sent to them anyway.
I suggest checking connectors in the usual places, at speakers and back of radio, maybe also at the back of the centre cup-holder-void etc.
Maybe the speakers are dead? It happens, especially if they got soaking wet a few times.

1 Like

I did, but I don’t think there any wireless android auto units available in the UK yet. Seems like they may be 6m - 1y off still. I’m also fortunate in that I have access to an employee discount with Sony so I’m pretty set on this model.

Thanks, I’m pretty confident they are dead at present. Hopefully wiring rather than anything permanent.

Thanks for the detailed comments very useful.

I like the Mazda logo background. Hard to do?

They are readily available if you search Mazda logo/badge to download, copyrights who knows?

Copy to a USB flashdrive and they can be uploaded to the unit. See the instructions for your particular unit.

I tried for a red logo but it seems my unit doesn’t want to play ball, won’t upload, maybe I need a little help with that?

1 Like

I thought I would update this thread now that I have finished the install. Overall it went reasonably smoothly. Everything works properly except the rear speakers which still do diddly squat, but I gather I’m not missing out on much there.

A quick photo to show the finish (ignore the actual display - was still in demo mode at the time):

Steering wheel controls work, DAB reception seems ok using a Pioneer windscreen antenna and the phone fits well in the drivers cubby below right of the steering wheel.

The only thing I found particularly confusing and still don’t fully understand is that the stock radio had two different multi connectors in the back (not including the HVAC control wiring which attaches separately).

These two connectors are a very large white multi-connector and a smaller, maybe 8-way white connector as well. The instructions supplied with the harness said to only use the larger one and I, therefore, left the smaller one disconnected. As I said everything except the rear speakers work, but then they didn’t work previously, still it seems a bit odd to leave some wires disconnected. Does anyone know what this secondary wiring loom is for and if I should do something with it? I was thinking it might be there for Bose systems but not used in non-Bose but it’s just a theory?

1 Like

My Bose, admittedly in the NC1 which may be different, only has one large white connector, plus the ariel. No second connector on the loom either (that I saw…).

My NC1 none Bose head unit had a secondary white connection on the rear. Some used it to plug in something like an iPod or phone connection that terminates with a 3.5mm jack plug, something like in the link below. I think it would be used to connect a CD changer unit otherwise but not sure.

The rear of my stock radio…

27358555607_9bf65dd198_z

1 Like

@MickAP thanks yes the connector I’m on about looks like one that would fit the socket on the right of your photo of the reverse of your radio.

I also realised I have a photo of it from my install too, as I took one after I’d removed the stock unit. See the smaller white plug on the foam covered cable that comes from the left of the dash in the below:

I would really like to know what these wires are and where they lead to? Are there any resources where I can look this kind of information up?

That foam covered cable with the white connector looks exactly like the connector/cable I posted in the link.
All you can do is pop the glovebox out and check if the other end is hanging in there, maybe the previous owner fitted something.
I can’t remember whether I had the extra cable there when I took my radio out, maybe did and odd it’s foam covered.

I had that foam covered cable on my NC1 and it was for the Mazda iPhone connection which dealers did sometimes fit. There was the old big iPhone connector rattling around behind the glovebox - on the other end of the cable. I just removed it. Worth checking to see if that’s what you have too.
I have the same Sony unit as you and have used it for nearly a year now. It’s very good and works well with DAB. I sourced a replacement rear wing antenna that did both FM&DAB and never get signal dropouts here in Surrey or anywhere else I’ve been.
I routed the cable up the passenger side behind the fuel filler pipe as was doing a rear-view camera install at the same time - so there was a bundle of cables to route. Easy though.
Tip for the AX3005DB is to make sure the 1.24 firmware is installed as it supplies higher power for Android phones so they can recharge faster.
I have non-Bose and the rear speakers do work but, as observed by others, they are poor and only give a very small amount of in-fill sound for the trebles.

Any link for the aerial?

I’ve steered clear of trying to connect something for the DAB to the NC1 stock aerial, read it can’t be done successfully as it has a power supply or something like that.

Thanks

1. I use the space in between the hand brake and the center console. My phone often hangs in the faux leather hand brake surround.
  2. I stopped using the rear speakers as hifi wise their position is awkward; stereo requires a left and right channel, both speakers are located to either left (rhd cars) or right (lhd) side messing up stereo imaging from the front speakers. Apart from the rubbish quality but that can be fixed with after market speakers.
  3. You could do that. A lot of splitters contain an amplifier and because NC antenna’s mostly or all seem to be amplified they aren’t compatible. I have bought a splitter without amplification that I will try somewhere in the near future.

I replaced the rear wing antenna completely with https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LFHUWLY . Although it was a roof antenna it could be sited to give a similar angle to the original and doesn’t look out of place. Just make sure you choose the correct DAB aerial connector for the head unit.

(I’m away from the car today so can’t do a picture)

How would you rate the Sony 3005 unit in bright sunlight with the roof down - is the display still visible and bright enough?
And how bad are the reflections you get?
Many thanks