NC3.5 BBR stage 1 conversion -booked!

After much deliberation I have booked in my 2010 1.8 SE for the BBR treatment! This Friday. Stage 1 Turbo complete with Koni shocks and springs package.

I initially plumped for the Super 175 kit but then thought I might possibly have regretted not going for the turbo, so, changed my mind!

I’m not a serial mucker about with cars and this will be the only time I’ll spend on this sort of money on this sort of thing and am sure I will enjoy it.

The wife is happy with the prospect and reminded me that up to now I’ve always made do with practical ‘boring’ cars so why not!

The BBR ‘buy back’ offer was helpful in making the case and is a welcome thought come the time I decide to sell.

I wondered whether to sell this, my first ‘5’ and get a 2.0 and a super 200 conversion, but we like our 1.8 and the fact it only has 32k miles is a bonus.

The 1.8 conversion promises significant additional torque over the 2.0 super 200 and I do prefer to drive on a wave of midrange torque rather than high rev power. Having lived on a diet of turbodiesels it’s what I’m used to and what I like.

I’m not sure the 260 odd bhp of the 2.0 would make for a particularly relaxing drive, exciting for sure but this will be my daily driver and will be used for our continental hols next year. I think 230-235 bhp will be plenty enough for that. Enough for 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds I’d guess And great for safe overtakes.

My only reservation is whether the lack of an LSD will hamper the experience at all. I hope not. I understand that a diff from a 2.0 sport will fit and make for a good long legged cruiser so at least there’s an option.

So much for the expectations, I will post again when the car has been done and I’ve things to report.

Yes, I fit the mould of the 50 something baldy but I care not. 

:-))

Awesome - sounds exciting 

Please clarify ‘buy back offer’ ?

Sounds great - you’ll have a blast. I have a 2.0 stage 1 and it is fantastic to drive. Very docile when you want it to be, and a complete nutter when you are in the mood.

Enjoy!

BBR will offer you the trade value of the car, plus half the cost of the turbo conversion.

Not heard of anyone that regrets the decision to do it! So looking forward to it. Also the suspension mods. I’ve found the ride very comfy but a bit bouncy. How do you find the suspension mods?

The suspension’s great. Just the right balance of handling and ride comfort. Fantastic cornering too. Just be aware of the ride height…speed humps etc. 

You won’t regret it, if you can afford the stage2 turbo then do it, love mine to bits

I don’t think I will regret it at all. I guess a stage 2 on my 1.8 would be about the equivalent of stage 1 on the 2.0litre.

305bhp must be rather an exciting ride!! Wow.

So, how’s about an update report? I suspect I’m not the only one that’d be interested!

[quote=MX5imon]

So, how’s about an update report? I suspect I’m not the only one that’d be interested!

Thank you MX5imon for the ‘nudge’. I have been meaning to report back and now that I’ve had time with the modified car and added some 2000 miles I feel

I can now I hope give a reasonable review!

BBR GTi as a company need no introduction and their professionalism and attention to detail lived up to all expectations.

My Car looked fabulous on collection, washed, buffed and looking squat on its new koni springs and damper kit.

Neil talked about the conversion and advised oil changes at 5000 miles, and to allow the turbo to cool before switching the engine off after a fast run - usual precautions. He also explained that the new larger injectors (which are perfect for the 2.0), tend to overfuel a little on the 1.8 on start-up. Not a problem and the advice was to hold the revs at 2-3000 for up to 10 secs or so then it would all settle down.

I elected not to have the BBR Turbo badges fitted as I didn’t want to draw attention to the fact that this was no ordinary MX5!

The car had been dyno’d and the graph showed a nice smooth torque curve with max torque around 4000 rpm and a max of 234.5bhp - pretty good for a 1.8!

So, paperwork exchanged, bill settled and off I went.

Engine was warm, started and ticked over smoothly, no real change in engine sound. Immediately apparent was the effect of the suspension mod.

Steering was sweeter, more direct, smoother and the straight ahead lightness was gone which pleased me. Overall just feels meaty and ‘right’. Turn-in was

Go-Kart like, no rolling, no bounciness. I would recommend this mod even if you weren’t ever contemplating a performance upgrade.

Out on the open road the driveability was as before up to about 2500rpm. After that you become aware that there is something bigger pushing you along.

At 3000 the torque arrives and you are in no doubt that something is very different to before. Where there was a flatness in the power delivery there is now an increasing urgency. From 3000 the torque builds progressively and by the time you hit 4-4500 rpm it’s giving its all.

It’s hard to compare the feeling because the driving experience is different but the MX5 seemed to have the same sort of ‘in-the-back shove’ that you might get from a mk7 GTi or impreza turbo. Not bad.

I had expected more of a sudden transition or ‘kick’ when the car came on boost but a hallmark of the mod is the progressive nature of the power delivery.

This helps driveability because you can accelerate safely out of corners knowing that a massive and sudden dollop of torque isn’t going to spin you off and into the bushes!! In fact someone described the power as like the arrival of the life and soul to a party rather than the unwelcome drunken gatecrasher! lol

I had been concerned that I did not have an LSD but there have been no dramas, in fact, not having one makes the car safer in my opinion cos it is less prone to oversteer. Traction is good and I have had no scary moments, no spins, just a few deliberate low-key oversteery moments which are easy to catch.

I’m not a drift king but enjoy it when the back end loses a bit of control and I’m pleased that my instinctive reactions are correct.

On the right damp road on my winter tyres it is possible to spin-up the rear at about 60 in third so that shows the level of grunt available. I believe the 0-60 time

would be around 5.5 seconds if you abused your car in that way.

For me, the car is now a supreme overtaker and third is great from 40 all the way up to wherever! Coupled with the handling improvement, the car just feel exactly how you would want it to feel straight from the factory - it’s that good.

Cold starts are a wee bit petrol smelly - Neil was right, but it soon settles down after 5 mins of driving.

Insurance, well believe it or not, the mods meant I had to change insurance company and the new premium was £30 CHEAPER at £300! yes, cheaper. Apparently I am viewed as an enthusiast and being in the MX5OC helps.

I drive the car much as I did before, I don’t tear-arse around and use the Turbo for overtakes and where I feel it’s necessary. My commute is a 72 mile each way.

A road and part motorway trip and my MPG is averaging 34 (calculated) with a best of 36.9 and worst of 32.4 so overall, very little change.

Overall, very happy with the mods, no regrets. Would I do it again? yes, without hesitation but I’d use a 2.0 as a base which would give 260bhp! You can’t have too much power can you!!!

PS, I havent found speed humps to be an issue, not grounded out yet despite being 30mm lower!

Hope all that helps…

Dave

You b*****d. You’re probably going cost me a lot of money…

Well all I need to do now is take the wife out for a few nice meals before telling her about the “mod” I want done. Thank you for the update Cool

Yup, that’s all it takes!! If you can justify it to yourself you’re away.

There are lots of things in life we don’t ‘need’ but a turboed MX-5 isn’t one of them…

VERY jealous - sounds fantastic! What kind of cost would it be to do that to a 2008 2.0 Sport? 

Hi Tommy24,

same as for my 1.8 as the same parts are used and the process is the same, so, £4995 + VAT for the Turbo conversion

and £1000 + VAT for the Koni suspension so just under £7200 all-in, drive in, whizz out a week later. BBR had a loan car I was able to use all

week so no hardship there!

Glad to hear your enjoying it

I have there Stage 1 Turbo on my 2.0 Sport so understand the smiles your experiencing  

I’m glad you like it and a great update to, I still love mine and still smile ever time I start mine up