NC3.5 Meister R club race settings

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC3.5 PRHT 2.0 sport tech
  2. I’m based near: __Newcastle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Meister R Club race settings

I’m about to fit a set of Meister R Club Race to my latest NC PRHT. Ride height wise can anyone tell me if they are normally OK out of the box ? And how about the other settings? I realise it’s a matter of personal preference but wanted a good starting point for road use.

Many thanks

That’s a bit like telling us you know to turn the telly off with the on/off switch.
But just in case you got it wrong you need us to tell you to use the on/off switch.

Put them on.
Look at it.
Drive it.
Adjust accordingly.

If you want the same as everyone else, buy a fixed suspension setup.

Thanks for the reply. Although unhelpful. I was simply asking if they come set at a good starting point. You know them so I’m sure you’re a fountain of knowledge. I don’t so was asking for a bit of guidance which forums are generally great for.

Btw I didn’t buy them from your site due to the insistence on paying by PayPal friends and family. Genuine businesses don’t do that. It set alarm bells off instantly for me.

I’m sure you have a clever response for that as well though.

1 Like

I don’t insist, I give people the option.
Sorry, but as you said (ride height, stiffness etc) it’s entirely personal, you can’t advise on that, it’s impossible.

I have the same model mx5 and have the club race fitted to mine. Out of the box I just compared them for length and checked the locking rings were secure. Pre load on the springs is factory set and I didn’t do anything else, just fit them on the car. Once fitted and off the stands, a drive around to settle them in (not sure that was even necessary) then measured wheelcentres to top of arches and made slight adjustments to get them level across the axles. From pre installation measurements, I have approximately a 30mm drop with the club race. Suits me fine and zero rubbing etc on standard wheels/tyre combo combined with 25mm spacers all round. :+1:
I started with the damping at mid point all round and drove the car for quite a while like that, very firm but that was fine for me. I have subsequently dialled the damping to the softest setting (Jerrick himself admits that the upper and lower limits are not really effective in the 32 point adjustment range) however, it was easier for me to dial them down to the same stop point than counting in to a different point in the range of adjustment. Not used the car massively since due to COVID but the miles I have done I’ve really enjoyed this set up. Still firm but a slightly more compliant ride on our (not) excellent typical road surfaces! I’ve just fitted the front adjustment extenders after drilling a large (30mm) hole in the strut brace legs over the top of the coilovers, so fine tuning the damping will be easier to do. Still looking for a set of rear adjusters but appear to be sold out everywhere? Unless anyone knows any different?
This is my third set of Meister’s over several years, on four cars and I really like them. Can only compare against worn, tired OEM stuff though :grinning:

Barrie

2 Likes

I fitted the club race to my mk1 track car,straight out of the box seemed perfect height,
We’re superb shocks on track

That’s really helpful and thanks for such a comprehensive reply. According to MeisterR the rear adjusters are “ End of the month”

1 Like

Are you planning on tracking the car? Just wondered what decided you on the clubrace product. What tyres do you plan on using?
Cheers,

Interesting questions? I presume you already know the answer regarding tyres as they are more geared for really great tyres. :+1:Having said that, my tyres, Cooper C8’s all round, are fine for me :+1: but I’ve never driven on a track unless you count not getting out of 2nd gear at Elvington and Goodwood at the rallies! I bought the club race as the others weren’t in stock! Not based on their performance really. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Barrie

Clubrace weren’t on offer when I bought the CRD’s. I am interested to hear opinions on road use with and without trackday tyres and comments on the effects of the increased travel shock design. Reviews seem to be fairly thin on the ground.

1 Like

It looks like it’s one or the other, not both available together :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Don’t think I’m capable of providing a proper review. Not a track God! :grinning: just know they behave well for me with a ‘reasonable’ set of road tyres. Never hops or skips on uneven surfaces and TBH goes round corners very flat. Probably helped by the ILMotorsport ARB’s.
Barrie

My question was basically @are they a good starting point out of the box"

Maybe just keep quiet now as there are people who are actually helpful and read the posts before firing off replies.

1 Like

I doubt i’ll be going near a track but as it’s a mostly occasional use car I decided to go for the club race versions over the other options.

I’ve two sets of wheels / tyres, One with KUMHO PS71 And one with Michelin Pilot sport 4S I also have some TOYO 888 in the garage removed from another car I had. They are excellent when it’s dry but I wasn’t happy in the wet which in the Uk is often !

1 Like

Hi My Nc has meister Rs on, came with the car had the car set up as it was too low and undrivable its now fantastic just for use on the road its like its on rails also have new kumho ps71s all round
Had the car aligned just to finish the job

All you have is opinions. Mine is that you bolt them on as is and start from full soft. So there you go, another opinion which goes against other opinion so which will you choose? It really does not matter.

It doesn’t matter where you start, it’s where you end up that matters.

1 Like

i’ve never had a mk3.5,only a mk1,i thought that these shocks were great on track but pretty ■■■■ on road use,just go for crd’s if only for road use surely

1 Like

Got the Club Race kit on the car today. Will have a tinker tomorrow with the height and put the boot covers back in, I managed to get a set of the elusive rear adjuster extenders from a very nice chap on here so i’m super grateful. Thanks to Harco for that. Will get an alignment sorted and report back. Went for a food shop on “Full soft” and can confirm its night and day compared to the 60k mile Bilstein stuff that came on the car.

1 Like

He is a nice chap, HARCO, I got the other pair! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Barrie

2 Likes

If it helps a ride height of 345mm hub to arch is the optimum in terms of the roll center.

1 Like

Completed the Meister R install today with the addition of an IL motorsports brace and all the factory trim modified to suit that. Highly recommend a metal nibbler for cutting the metal panel that sits over the fuel filler pipe work.

The rear adjuster extenders are popped through 30mm holes and grommets so quite happy with the results all round.

1 Like