NC3.5 suspension squeak - replace upper suspension arm?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2011 NC 3.5 (Miyako) with about 90k miles
  2. I’m based near: South London (Balham)
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Front suspension noise

I have an annoying issue with my NC whereby the front (I think right) suspension squeaks/creaks when absorbing a sharp bump. This is repeatable over all steep speed bumps and potholes. Gentle bumps and uneven road surfaces aren’t sufficient to produce the noise.

It sounds like metal rubbing as if insufficiently lubricated. However after the car has warmed up and I’ve covered some miles the squeak reduces in volume and eventually goes away completely at a certain point. I can go back over bumps that previously caused the squeak in silence. Then next time I take the car out the squeaks are back with a vengeance.

I got the garage to look at this when I took it in for an annual service and MOT and their theory was that it was related to some play they could see in the front right lower suspension arm. They said it was marginal for passing the MOT anyway and recommended I replaced it. I did so but this didn’t resolve the squeak, so they are now offering to replace the upper arm assembly as well, free of charge. However, they claim there is a shortage of NC suspension parts with no ETA from their suppliers so I’ve been waiting for weeks for them to get one in. The garage have now said they’ll reimburse me if I can source one independently and they’ll fit it.

Firstly I’d appreciate input as to whether this is a common problem, and if people agree with the mechanics diagnosis? Secondly, can anyone advise where I can buy a new upper suspension arm as well as the custom bolts for an NC (with the lower arm, the bolts had corroded to the point they need cutting through to remove them)? The only place I’ve found with stock is MX5parts.co.uk but they have pretty dire trust pilot reviews so wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable distributor?

I’m told the suspension has a fair bit of corrosion but is perfectly safe and fully functional, but the noise is bloody annoying as there are loads of speed bumps around where I live! Very keen to get this sorted, so any help appreciated.

Just to add a bit more info. The car is on the stock suspension and whilst I’ve only had the car 9 months, I’ve got a full service history so can be reasonably certain it hasn’t had any previous suspension work.

The squeak started in December and has persisted since. I suspect it is related to cold weather in some regard so it may just clear up as the weather gets warmer. Still, I would rather find the problem and fix it properly.

Probably not the cause, but when I had a suspension creak and after trying everything I could think of, discovered actually it was the door creaking. Messing with the black rubber door bush and the corresponding metal cup on the door cleared it.

1 Like

I have the same with my 2011 Miyako in cold wet weather.
Its worst when its been sitting for a while and goes away as you drive it.
I’ve put it down to either light corrosion as you get on the discs, which polishes off with use or maybe a squeaky bush.
The fact it goes away so easily and quickly leads me to believe its nothing serious

2 Likes

Droplinks. My 3.5 had the same. Even when it was up on the ramp and they moved them they couldn’t replicate the sound but found a very slight movement. Changed them and problem gone. Do both sides not just one. It’s a very minor problem and low cost so don’t worry.

3 Likes

Sorry that I have nothing constructive to say about your suspension issue but I was totally surprised by your negative remarks about MX5parts. I personally have never had an issue with them and I would think that a huge majority of members of this forum have used them without problems. I think they have an excellent reputation concerning delivery but just maybe considered a bit expensive for some things. Just my opinion. I will be interested in any further comment.

4 Likes

See if the parts needed are on MX5parts ebay shop, it will be a lot easier to get your money back in the event something happens with your order.

I have used them without any issues, my only consern is a lot of their parts look like very cheap made in china parts, but that’s normal in today’s world.

1 Like

If it was me i’d take the joint apart and grease it. Squeak stops? There is your your problem joint.
A lot cheaper than throwing new parts at it until you’ve cured it.

2 Likes

Another happy MX5Parts customer here. I’d have no hesitation in buying through them.

My car used to creak. Doesn’t any more. But I have had the suspension off and on again, and lubbed bushes with silicon spray etc.

Sounds like you have a good friendly local garage who are happy to do the work with parts you provide - so crack on and get the parts; but if it doesn’t fix the problem, it could get awkward - so make sure you are doing what they suggest, and not taking advice from here or elsewhere, then telling the garage what to do, unless you are willing to pay for them to do the work and not hold them liable if it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

I agree with Duratec that it sounds like they are just throwing parts at it at your expense. Upper and lower arms are alloy so shouldn’t have structural rust issues.
Normally you would start with the cheap stuff which is new arb droplinks both sides and arb bushes replaced or greased.
There is a £3 plastic gasket which is supposed to prevent shock top mount rubbing and squeaking which could have failed. Mazda P No. F15134003.
It could potentially be a failing shock absorber at 90k miles.
Unless the upper arm bushes have twisted and torn they should be ok
Spray the bushes one by one with wd40 and up into the upper shroud on the shock ( avoid getting on the brakes) and you should be able to isolate the offending article.
Aftermarket upper arms seem to be available on buycarparts.co.uk but as its a european site it may cost extra and take longer to get one
If Mx5parts want £150 for a genuine mazda one its hardly worth going aftermarket at £130 ish.
Your local Mazda dealer may be able to get you one cheaper.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. Some good info in here. To be clear, I’ve never used MX5parts myself. I was wary from reading reviews here: MX5 Parts Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.mx5parts.co.uk Of course people with bad experiences review more than those with good so I take the positive experiences from users on here as more valuable. I guess if people have had good experiences they might really appreciate some positive reviews as they are on 2.4/5 right now!

I’ll ring the garage tomorrow and discuss all the ideas here (droplinks, grease the arb bushes and check the plastic gasket) and if necessary order the parts from MX5Parts. You’ve all been very helpful, thank you!

As I read it, the concensus appears to be for you to personally pinpoint where the problem is by lubricating each of the likely joints in turn and road testing each time to see if the noise has been affected.
When you find the cause, then and only then, get the garage to fix it.
However, that does involve grovelling under the car and getting hands mucky, which not everybody wants to do.

So, if it’s likely to be droplinks, do we know why exactly and what it is that is causing the squeaking?
Will lubricant sort the problem or is it a symptom of wear that will be affecting the handling, given that the droplinks connect the ARBs to the suspension.

It’s more of an annoyance. Mine starting doing it last year. At first nothing but the further I drove the worse it got. It’s quite common. The only option is to replace them but they are not that expensive. Just make sure you get decent ones and don’t go for cheapos or you will just be doing the same again. Like I say the weird thing is up on the ramp he couldn’t get them to squeak. It was just a bit of play but rolling it over a bump there was the noise again. All sorted once they were replaced.

1 Like

I’m not opposed to working on the car myself but unfortunately there’s no practical way I can do it at the moment. I live in a tiny London flat with no off street parking. Can’t take it to friends/relatives with sufficient space due to covid either, so whatever is required will need the garage to do it. Otherwise I agree a systematic hands on approach would be most sensible.

The garage seem reasonably decent in most regards and whilst I wouldn’t say I fully trust them yet, they’ve put no pressure on me to take any specific action and are willing to make it right without extra charge, seeing as what they recommended first time didn’t solve it.

That does seem pretty fair, although, as has been pointed out, you will be paying for potentially unnecessary parts.

You don’t appear to have a lot of choice, except perhaps to wait until you can access a mate’s driveway.

Nobody is suggesting the problem might be serious, so I’m sure it can wait a few weeks.

Thanks.
Mine only do it for a short while after the car has been sitting in the cold and wet. It soon goes away and doesn’t happen much at all in Summer.
I think maybe I’ll wait for some warm, dry weather and try some lubrication, in the first instance anyway.

Would you happen to know where I can find that plastic gasket in the UK? Even searching by the part number I’m only finding US resellers at the moment.

Ring Mazda or make one, all it is is a gasket cut out of some polythene.

I had a very similar squeak to what’s been described…

Spraying a liberal amount of WD40 over the ARB mounts/bushings where it’s bolted to the subframe completely sorted it out!

2 Likes