ND 1.5, 6 year service

I did mine last weekend after 3 years using the Mazda diff oil.
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/diff-genuine-mazda-long-life-hypoid-mk4-p-4571.html
It is easy, you need a 23 and 24mm socket and they sell the crush washers also.
Is only 0.8 litre, so drains quickly, then you need a pump or squeezy bottle to refill.
Plenty of YouTube videos showing the procedure.

1 Like

I change my diff annually and use Millers Oils, its not as easy as it used to be though as the car is a lot lower now, but yes if using stock height or lowering springs it can easily be done under the rear bumper.

Millers Oils NANODRIVE CRX LS 75w-90 NT+ Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil 1 Litre (opieoils.co.uk)

1 Like

Does anyone know if the ND2 (2litre) gearbox and (particularly as it has an LSD) diff use a specific oil.
It’s probably quicker to ask on here than trawl the net.
Thanks.
Given the gearbox’s reputation for fragility and how hard the LSD works in the wet I’m going to change them both at 2 years, even though the car will only have done around 8k miles by then.

Once the car is a few years old then showing a potential purchaser a stack of detailed invoices from a main dealer or independent is more valuable than a hard copy or electronic ‘stamp’ in a book with no detail at all. Even a main dealer electronic service history should be accompanied by the invoices for the work. Once the car gets somewhat older and is owner maintained then a conciencious owner will continue to keep a written record plus the receipts for items purchased. When the time comes that’s what anyone buying my car will be shown.
Never forget the phrase ‘service history’ in an advert for a car is nothing more that. It may be good or it may be shockingly bad, but either way it is the history of the servicing done.
JS

1 Like

I use Millers Oils for the diff and gearbox:

Diff: Millers Oils NANODRIVE CRX LS 75w-90 NT+ Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil 1 Litre (opieoils.co.uk)

Gearbox: Millers Oils NANODRIVE CRX 75w-90 NT+ Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil 1 Litre (opieoils.co.uk)

Or, for the gearbox you can run 75W-140 (some argue it offers better protection and its what I run, when cold it can be a little stiffer changing gear, but literally for the 1st couple of minutes, thereafter its slightly smoother):

Millers Oils NANODRIVE CRX 75w-140 NT+ Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil 1 Litre (opieoils.co.uk)

You need 0.7L for the diff and 2.1L for the gearbox (oil pump to fill both). 24mm spanner to change the gearbox oil.

3 Likes

The spec is in the back of the handbook.

The LSD uses the Mazda hypoid diff oil that a dealer or MX-5 parts sell in 1 litre can.

The gearbox has a spec, but there are many theories what oil is best, as @GarethC lists in his post.

The gearbox oil spec is 75w/90 GL4.

1 Like

Many thanks for the response both.
I’m about to place an order with Opie for oils for my new bike, so I’ll add the transmission oil to it.
My car is only 4K miles old, (bought at 3) and I’m surprised at how notchy the gearbox feels, hot and cold.
My wife’s first two CX5’s were manuals, and the gear change noticeably better after 20k or so, as were my manual BMW’s. Are MX5 boxes similar in as much they improve once they’ve done some work and miles?

If your garage is VAT registered you can ask Mazda to add the service to the digital record, did this with my last car with no argument

1 Like