ND 7.5x17 with 215/45 tyres

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2019 30AE RF
  2. I’m based near: Southampton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: wheel/tyre combo.
    I’m considering getting a spare set of wheels and tyres so I can keep the forged Rays in a1 condition. The car is my daily, so once lockdown ends will be used a lot in all conditions.
    From web info I’ve got I can get a 7.5x17 flow formed bola VST (nearly as strong as forged, and very light) or similar wheel with a 40mm offset, which according to ‘will they fit’ will be a couple of mm closer to the strut, and stick out c11mm more than the standard wheel. I will use 215/45 Michelin PS4, or possibly 215/45 Michelin Cup2 tyres, both of which which will sit better on 7.5” than 7’s.
    My concern is clearance of the (brembo) brake callipers, does anyone have experience with a similar setup please?

have a look at this link - another member posted…

OrangeMX-5RF30aeClub Member

5d

I have fitted new wheels to my 30 AE OZ Ultraleggera 7Jx17" Tyre Bundle - Matte Black × 1 from bbr, for no other reason than to save the original Rays wheels, which are ridiculously expensive, not that i ever go anywhere atm. Straight fit no spacers required, i had the TPM fitted and they automatically matched to the car.

BBR sell wheel and tyre sets for the ND.

Yes they sell wheel and tyre sets. Be sure to order the tpm’s, if your model has them or you could run into MOT problems.

Thanks, I had looked there but was frightened by the prices😮.
I am trying to keep the total, inc Tpms sensors to around £1k.
4x215/45/17 Michelin PS4 are available for around £370 fitted at the moment, and I’d budgeted on around £150 per wheel, plus tpms sensors at c£25e, so £1100 ish all in.
It’s really only the calliper clearance that is unknown.
I must admit the OZ’s are a nice looking wheel though.

I wanted a wheel that was a similar weight to the Rays.
The total was £1550 but when you relate that to a £1000 per wheel including tyres the Rays cost to replace.

1 Like

Some interesting info on size and tyre combos from goodwin racing site.

When putting aftermarket wheels on, can you not swap the tpms from your old wheels? Where do you buy them, if not, that doesn’t break the bank?

I have read that late NC tpms valves can be used as they’re identical to ND ones but are for some reason cheaper

2 Likes

All tpm’s in the uk should operate at frequency 433mhz so any tpm should work if its the same frequency. You could ask you mazda dealer what the frequency is on the Mx5 just to be sure. The batteries in the sensors are only good for about 3 years so swapping old ones may not be a smart move.

1 Like