ND door lock popped out

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND1 (2016) Sport Nav
  2. I’m based near: Bristol
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Door locking mechanisms

After a short drive and parking to get a coffee this morning, I came back to my car and noticed that the driver’s side manual door lock (behind the exterior handle) looked odd. When I took a closer look I saw that it was completely loose and was able to pull the whole thing free of the car, leaving me with a piece that contained the door lock, surrounding trim, and full barrel assembly.

There weren’t any signs of damage and, when I went to put it back in place, found that lining it up and giving it a firm push seated everything back snugly in place. It feels “finger tight” at the very least and doesn’t seem like it’ll come out again without at least a bit of effort.

I’m now paranoid that this part could potentially shake itself loose or that it means the car isn’t secure (or as secure as a soft top can be!).

I’ve tried to search for similar cases online but can’t find any information as to how this part is seated and secured within the door, if I need to have it looked at, or if by pushing it back in things are fine again.

Has anyone else experienced this or knows what the issue could be / could have been?

Not heard of this so far, if you look in the linked page for the ‘Body & Accessories’ menu then search (use Ctrl+F to open a search box) for ‘door’ it may help guide you where to look further.

1 Like