ND gearbox trouble....ggrrrr

Collected our new to us 2.0 litre ND 2 weeks ago today, approved used from main dealer and just 13.5k miles. Got into it today having only done around 250 miles in it over the last few weeks and selecting 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears wasn’t much fun. 3rd or 2nd into first at walking type pace approaching junctions was almost impossible with grinding if you persisted. Selecting 4,5 & 6 was absolutely fine at this point.

I can appreciate a 'box feeling a little notchy if cold, but the car had been sat in the warm sunshine for nearly 2 hrs (out from the garage) before driving but this was very indicative of things plastered all over the net.

Did 3 journeys over the course of an hour and a half and it started to free up but 1,2&3 all felt poor in comparison to 4,5&6. Reverse wasn’t exactly joyful either.

Took it back to the dealer with the usual we have only had to change 1 'box over the years…Some education has been given in this respect by yours truly (politely) but firmly.

They have given me a courtesy car with promise to investigate so we shall see where this goes but Mazda Uk do seem to have been not the best from some things I have read up on so far in regard to gearbox maladies and saying they haven’t heard of any TSB’s about them…

At this stage, all we want is the issue resolved correctly and in timely manner as we do like the car and would prefer to keep it, not however the best of starts!

KennyP

I thought gearbox issues were with the ND1 I wasn’t aware they were with the ND2 as well. I have a ND1 and yes the gearbox can be a bit notchy between 1st and 2nd but usually smooths out after a few miles. I would maybe suggest a gearbox oil change and see if that helps.

I think it’s an ND1 that the OP got 2 weeks ago.
Leaving a car in the sun for a couple of hours will not warm the gearbox. It will take at least 5 miles of driving before it gets to normal operating temperature, something around 80c.
Irrespective of this, grinding is not good, you should be able to select gears reasonably easily at any temperature, and changing the oil should not be necessary on a 13k mile old car.
Assuming yours has the usual well documented problems, make sure that the replacement is the latest revision version, I think it’s the 5th.
Others on here have much more info on this, - the search is your friend. Iirc there’s plenty on the American forum as well, including the part numbers of the revised boxes.
Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers guys, just to confirm it is an ND1 (2017). I realise that being in the sun wouldn’t warm the gearbox up, just more of an it wasn’t freezing cold sort of thing. Previous fun stuff such as TVR and Porsche could certainly feel weightier when cold, but not grinding and recalcitrant. I really hope they don’t try the ‘we’ve changed the oil, see how you get on’ sort of thing. I am hoping for a long term solution but will see what they suggest. Of course, the super duper soft indoor dust cover for it arrived today!

1 Like

Unfortunately it was the 2.0l engined ND1 that was most susceptible to gearbox trouble. There have been many, many threads on the subject over the years.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they try the oil change thing, my dealer did and it made no difference. I pushed hard and after a 6 month argument and 3 different dealers i got my v1 gearbox replaced with a v5.

1 Like

I guess you know the difference between a cold ‘box and one that isn’t working properly then - sorry.
Before I bought mine I did quite a lot of research into this problem, and came to the conclusion it’s actually quite rare, especially on a late car like mine.
I have dropped any thoughts of turbocharging it though🙄.
The various threads/posts are worth reading, even if it’s only so you’re better informed than the dealer in the event of any disagreement, which I hope you don’t have.
Rgds

All good info folks. I was aware of the issue but it was really only today after a few hundred miles that the issue began to surface. The car is under the 30 day (1000 mile) exchange thing as part of the approved warranty and blurb but a proper long term parts replacement solution would be far preferable. We are only on day 14 and 250 miles and will use that as leverage if necessary. It has only ever been serviced by the supplying dealer too so they know the car. I had initially thought of turbocharging it, we had a BBR Mk1 around 27 years ago and loved it! Usual story, other than servicing it needed nothing!

Personally I would never, ever up-rate or turbocharge an ND1 2.0l with the original gearbox, it’s a disaster waiting to happen!

1 Like

I’m turbocharging mine, if it goes it goes, there are options for strengthened or NC boxes.

I’ve got a 2018 ND1 2.0, but I think it was made in late 2017 from the PDI date.
It’s on 15k miles and the gearbox is fine, touch wood.
I thought by 2018 they were on revision 3 or 4 of the gearbox, so they should be better?

I expect they will change the oil first, but when they do it ask them if there was lots of swarf on the drain plug, which would indicate wear.

Could even be clutch adjustment or needs bleeding.

Keep us informed.

Hoping the OP gets a satisfactory result… It’s a shame when an issue “spoils” a car, which you so want to enjoy…
I certainly would never go down the uprate or turbo route - Am happy to leave it as is and enjoy it… :slight_smile:
Rob

1 Like

After re-reading the OP post I can see where I went wrong.
I had the gearbox oil changed on mine it was 4 years old and it only had 14k on the clock and the guy who changed it said that it looked like it came out of a car with 100k miles, so I would still change it if it were mine, that is if the gearbox isn’t changed by the dealer

The best outcome will be a new 'box with the latest spec. Then, I would quite happily change the oil in that every couple years with decent fluid. I have had good results with Royal Purple trans fluid a few years back so something along those lines. However, dealers will always try to do the easiest/cheapest ‘get-out’ so not holding my breath on this one. If it does go the way I’d prefer, then it would be nice to give it little more shove.

Mine was changed to a v5 as said and that’s what I’m doing, oil changes every 2 years using Millers Oils 75w140, that’s roughly every 6k. Diff gets changed annually for the same reason, the oil gets VERY hot and goes off quickly.

Thanks Gareth, I had plans for the diff too after seeing what came out of my SRT Jeep a couple of years back! Have you had any issues with the V5 'box?

No, but its only covered around 4,000 miles so far.

OK, Cheers.

Kenny don’t take any messing with this. Your contract is with the supplying dealer and there is no 30 day rule at all. If there are any major faults within 6 months of purchase the dealer must rectify them under the sale of goods act. They will often try and quote third party warranty limits thinking you won’t know the law but THEY have the responsibility to put it right not a warranty company or Mazda. And you don’t pay anything either.

1 Like

He does have 30 days to reject the car.