ND gearbox trouble....ggrrrr

It’s always frustrating when you have a problem with any car , but as a bit of a counterbalance I have a friend who has a Renault Alpine . He has had no end of problems with it , the paint work is atrocious, the windscreen has cracked ( a known problem with Alpines , something about rigidity) and its currently back with the dealer yet again.

Alpine A110?

Always liked the idea of these, but they turned out too expensive in my opinion.
Although it is a bonded aluminium chassis. Just a shame they cheapened it with dodgy Renault parts.
The Caterham version that never made it, could have been better.

cheers chap and hope Cadwell goes well!

KennyP

What’s the right oil? :stuck_out_tongue:

TOP SECRET!!

I have seen the torque figures quoted by Mazda in their brochures as: ND1 200nm@4,600rpm and ND2 205nm@4,000rpm. This suggests that ND2 has more torque at lower rpm so is there some ‘devil in the detail’ that is not apparent from the published data?
I have had both engines and would say that by the ‘seat of the pants dyno’ there was no noticeable difference in torque.
:heart:

2 Likes

Morning folks, just had a call from the service manager who asked to hear my experience of the problem first hand. He has told me that he has replaced 3 mx 5 gearboxes over the years and that they are going to leave the car somewhere cold for a few days to try and replicate the problem.

I have expressed that the only solution I would be willing to accept is a replacement 'box to the latest spec or the car would have to go back. Now we play the waiting game, place your bets…

Morning Kenny… I just don’t buy this “going to leave the car somewhere cold for a few days to try and replicate the problem” Once the oil has cooled in I’d say a few hours the problem should be obvious. The good thing is they know your position and what you want…
Hoping you get it sorted sooner rather than later…!
Rob

Maybe they’re going to take it to the North Pole and try it there :rofl:

…giving them plenty of rope etc…

A notchy gearbox, between 1st and 2nd, is a common complaint on the forum and something that most owners learn to live with as the problem lessens as the gearbox warms up. That is certainly the case with my MK3.5 2lit roadster. I recently replaced the gearbox oil with Red Line MT90 and also replaced the turret oil and selector plate. The car has only done 28k miles and I can’t say there’s been much of an improvement. It’s a minor irritation and one I’m prepared to live with.

More money thrown in the bin due to FB and forum old wives tales.
It’s not something I would put up with, nor any of my customers.
Every time you go clickety click through the box when cold it’s producing metal swarf which you see on the magnetic drain plug.
Why you would want to put up with that is beyond me.

2 Likes

Well, things weren’t really progressing in a timely manner in my view. Dealer has now had the car 6 days and was ‘in contact’ with Mazda over the issue. I have had to now demand that I expect an answer today as they will have had the car for 7/21 days of our ownership come tomorrow and that’s just not cricket! I have also gone direct to Mazda to try and expedite things that end with the same stipulation of time. Apparently there was delay as Mazda needed to know how many owners the car had had and if they had drained the oil and found any swarf…they have been told to get their finger out!

I have spoken with an independent garage chum who is willing to remove the ’ box (at my expense) where it can then be forensically examined by Dekra (at my cost) who will provide a report which is useable in court if necessary.

It goes without saying that I hope none of that has to happen but if the game of silly buggers does indeed happen then I will do this.

Many thanks to Rodders for his time this morning for his advice and information. It has been put to good use… you know it’s weapons grade when the phone goes very quiet at the other end!

kennyP

1 Like

Hi Kenny… Am sorry to see your gearbox woes are continuing, but you are right to demand answers within a given time… Customer care is such an important factor when buying a car.
Seriously hoping you don’t have to begin resolving the matter at your own expense, and just keep putting the pressure on your dealer who should be acting on your behalf with Mazda.
Rob

Those of us that have been following the tales of woe regarding the gearbox problems right from the start know how Rodders tried in vain to get any cooperation from Mazda. His experiences of failures, evidence from investigation of the problem and sound engineering solutions could have been very useful to them but they weren’t prepared to listen. Fast forward a few years and Rodders’ first generation modified boxes are being thrashed mercilessly without fail while Mazda are on version five. No wonder the dealers go quiet when presented with the true facts.

1 Like

Hi Kenny. If you haven’t already done so I suggest you URGENTLY take the action I suggested earlier in post 26 as it sets out your position in HARD TEXT otherwise if everything is just an exchange of phone calls you have nothing to back you up, it’ll be your word against theirs. Do it, you have nothing to lose if you do and everything to lose if you don’t.
PS: If it were me and they refuse to replace the gearbox I would reject the car. I certainly wouldn’t do anything that may result in them saying you tampered with it, and definitely not “at my expense”. Lets’s face it it’s not a rarity, there are plenty of other examples around.

3 Likes

Agreed, I wouldn’t be touching anything and would just reject the car if it comes to it.

1 Like

It has been put in writing to Mazda Uk

This is getting even better, I can’t speak with anyone from customer services, they are all in a meeting for the rest of the day…what total shower.

Kenny. It should be to the firm you bought it from, not Mazda, your legal beef is with your seller. The advice I’ve given is that recommended by consumer groups and Citizens Advice, it sets out the problem, the required action to be taken by the end of the legal timescale. There are plenty of websites telling you what to do within what time limits. You should not be running around after them, it should be the other way round. Send your ultimatum and wait, at the moment you’re playing it to their tune.

1 Like

The idea was to use Mazda Uk as leverage against the dealership. The reason is Mazda Uk have now asked for an oil sample from the 'box so they are both involved. Yes, the dealership is the ‘contractual partner’ but since they have used Mazda as a bit of an excuse I’m annoying them ALL!