ND hood rub on headrests - 3D printed some spacer blocks

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND 2016 2.0L
  2. I’m based near: West Sussex

I realised about a month after buying my beloved ND in November that I had the dreaded “hood rubbing against the headrest” issue when the top is folded back. I saw a solution on here not long ago where someone 3D printed some spacer blocks, so as an owner of such a machine I decided to draw up a similar design and try it myself.

These blocks are 8mm in depth, 25mm height and about (I can’t remember exactly and I don’t have the model to hand) 25mm wide, with an 8mm radius on the top to encourage the hood latches to slide over. Overall a success, I’m surprised at how well these little blocks work, and stay put. I used some waterproof double-sided foam tape to soak up any flatness issues between the two plastic surfaces. The 8mm depth seems to be ideal - the spacing works to keep the hood edge off the headrests, but still allows me to fold down and latch the hood while seated.

I printed these blocks on their side so that the layer lines would run vertically when the blocks were in place. These were printed in clear PETG, and I intend to widen the block slightly and re-print them in UV stable black ASA on our super-fancy 3D printer at work.

I’m happy to share the CAD if anyone wants it, although it’s not a difficult one to draw up.

2 Likes

I have wedges available at £18 for the pair including UK P&P.

Manufactured by BenID in France and imported by myself for UK sale. Over 100 sets sold so far and created a gap where there was none or improved the gap for every buyer except one. That buyer got a refund. :laughing:

Drop me a message anyone who would like a set.

1 Like