ND Infotainment Screen Cracks

Hi there

Am looking to buy an ND1 in the coming weeks and I’ve noticed a few of the cars for sale have what look like cracks in the corners of the infotainment screen.

I wondered if this is a known issue? If so, are there ways to fix it (other than the obvious of replacing the entire unit!)?

An example is below. This one looks particularly bad. Does the issue worsen as time goes on?

Thanks for your help.

Has the transit plastic screen protection been left on? Should have been removed at the P.D.I. Just a thought.

1 Like

Common fault, screens were replaced under warranty. ND2 screen is a higher resolution so some upgrade to that. If you’re buying from a dealer get them to replace it first.

1 Like

No, it looks like it is in the screen. And as paddyman points out, seems to be a known issue.

I’ve my eye on a grey icon btw. I think they look great with the red accessories. How do you find yours?

1 Like

Thanks paddyman.

Very happy with our Icon. We are members of the N.E. Midlands group and there are three others in the same group! We can’t all be wrong. :wink:
Having started off with a 1.8iS NA in 1994, three NC’s in 2006, 2009 and 2010 and coming back into MX-5’s after a 12 year gap, for me the 1.5 ND is just like I remember our first NA. We liked the NC’s but this ND just seems to have gone back to putting the fun into driving the MX-5. (No, we haven’t tried any of the 2.0 litre ND’s as this one suits us.) Good luck with whatever you buy. You will enjoy it. :+1:

Common issue where the screen layers delaminate, usually caused with cars that are left outside and therefore are subjected to temperature changes. The ND2 screen isn’t a higher resolution, but is a better contrast, i recently changed mine to one and on selling on the old screen and Mazda 2 CMU the upgrade only cost me around £10.

I believe it is possible to just replace the glass, but i’m not sure how easy/difficult it is to get hold of the parts or at what cost. IIRC i think dealers were offering the parts for sale as a means to resolve the issue.

Is it actually possible to replace the ND screen with a high(er) resolution one ?

My 2017 ND screen is OK so far, but it has been garaged for 4 years. Prior to that I used a half cover and kept the damp out with dry-bags.

On the odd occasion, maybe twice or three times, it has been out in very cold damp weather and the screen has clouded inside but it dried out OK.

It doesn’t get used much from November to April and I’m pretty sure if I’d just left it to its fate outside it would suffer some deterioration probably including the nav screen.

No its not, there is no such replacement.

There is an ND1 screen on eBay at the moment for sale that could be used to replace a faulty screen, I know the guy selling it as he did the same thing I did and used a newer Mazda 2 screen to upgrade the ND1 screen. But ultimately, if you can do the same and get hold of a newer screen out of an ND2 or Mazda 2 that’s the better thing to do.

There are some aftermarket larger (wider) screen replacements available if you look around, not pretty…

There is also a TSB noting the issue though probably only relevant if inside the warranty period: