ND Mileage and Rust Advice

Hi there

Having enjoyed an NA when I was younger, I am now looking to buy myself an ND.

The specific car I am tempted to pull the trigger on is 2016 and has 55K in miles, which is high relative to other cars on the market but perhaps encouraging that it has been used properly (and not just for short trips to the shop on a cold engine). Its MOT history is very clean with only one or two advisories and it has a full Mazda service history. It has had two owners. The brake callipers and disc shields (I’m not sure if this is the right name) have some surface rust on them but I guess that is relatively common of a car of the age/mileage.

I know to buy on condition and not age/mileage. Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

With regards to rust, how are the NDs holding up? Are there specific areas to check on inspection? I know the rust protection is possible, but is it possible on a 6-7 year old car?

This forum has been really helpful to me when researching the purchase, so I appreciate the help.

1 Like

Depending on how well it’s been looked after then subframe components could be showing surface rust which isn’t serious.

If you can, take a look behind the wheel arch liners for signs of crustiness starting there.

Hopefully there should be nothing to be too concerned about at this stage unless it’s been run through salty winters and never washed underneath.

Entirely possible to have a car if that age cleaned and proofed.

1 Like

Mine is a 2016 car , bought in 2017 with 5k miles and now at 48k. In every way it is a far nicer car than when I bought it. Some of this is down to subtle mods ( PS4s, lowered springs , remap and geo by Roddisons ) and some , I feel, simply down to use . The much maligned gearbox has a far sweeter change now and mpg , despite , or because of more power and torque, has improved from high 30s to low- mid 40s. It was Dinitroled last year - no real issues apparent - and it seems overall in very fine fettle.

I would not hesitate to buy a well used ND based on my experience. Other views are available, of course , especially from those who have had gearbox problems . Contrary to internet forum wisdom , such issues are not compulsory.

Thanks a lot John. Always difficult to know how previous owners have oooked after a car but full Mazda service history, a car that looks in good condition, and only one advisory in total across 5 MOTs is probably a good enough sign.

This is a 1.5, I think the gearbox issue more likely to impact the 2.0 version?

Did you rust proof the car yourself, or take it somewhere?

Cheers

Kev

1 Like

I believe the g/box issue is primarily with 2 litres but others may know far more about this .

I prefer to get people who know what they are doing to look after my cars as I am an inept clod , incapable of doing any practical or mechanical task and with a lifelong loathing of DIY . I got JR Classics near Doncaster to do the Dinitrol - not cheap but done infinitely better than I could ever manage

2 Likes

Thanks. I would describe myself as inept too. Saw JR Classics mentioned/recommended in a few places now so will certainly check them out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.