ND- Missing Drain Plugs (Again)

I’ve had my ND for just over a year now, and the dealer PDI was completed in April 2019. I was aware of the missing plugs issue when I got the car, and had a look under it when I first got it to see if they were fitted and thought I could see them.

Unfortunately I didn’t look well enough, mainly because I hadn’t realised you can’t actually see the holes with the car on the deck and I’ve not actually jacked it up yet (very steep drive). After reading more about how to find them on here I went and had a feel today, sure enough they’re missing entirely.

Thankfully the car was fully treated by Preserve Protect in Johnstone a few weeks after I took ownership, so I’m not too worried about any potential issues from them not being fitted for over a year (it’s a daily driver) but I’d still like to fit them now for obvious reasons.

I called the dealer (Arnold Clark Mazda in Stirling) and after a bit of a faff finding the right parts got given a price for two of them, about £12. I asked about them being fitted on PDI and was told that Mazda stopped providing them with the PDI pack about two years ago, and you now have to pay for them if you want them fitted. The guy on the phone agreed this seemed ridiculous but the result was the same, I need to pay for the parts.

Now I’ve no problems with the amount but it’s the principal of the thing. I’ve raised the issue with Mazda UK to find out if they should definitely have been fitted at PDI, but I’m wondering if anyone else has heard the same story from their dealer about Mazda not providing them as standard?

That sounds like complete twaddle to me. My ND was supplied in late March 2019 and the plugs were fitted. I can’t believe that Mazda would be so cheapskate to stop providing the plugs which would cost them pennies. Sounds like you can’t really confirm whether they were fitted at delivery or not if you were possibly looking in the wrong place. It may be that Preserve Protect removed the originals to carry out the rust proofing and forgot to put them back in. I would have thought that Preserve and Protect would have pointed out that they were missing if they were meant to be there…

Utter nonsense…

Or else my dealer (also part of the infamous AC network) is a bit more obliging.

1 Like

It was only reading a couple of posts recently that I realised they can’t actually been seen with the car on the deck. Before then I thought I’d seen them when I looked under. They’re missing in the many photos sent pre and post treatment by PP but I just took for granted they’d been (re)fitted.

It’s the story of the dealer I’m not convinced by. They claim not to have been given them to fit for “a couple of years”.

Yep. I think the dealer is ripping you off and giving you a tall story. They should have just given you some plugs.Try ringing another dealer to see what they say.

2 Likes

I and a friend both have ND2s, which had PDIs in Oct 2019. My friend’s were missing when he collected his, but the dealer supplied them when brought to their attention. Knowing this when I collected mine, I checked before driving the car away, and found that mine had been correctly fitted. If we’re talking about the same plugs, I believe they’re actually grommets to fill the holes where transit straps are fitted for securing the vehicle to ship/car transporter decks during distribution.

1 Like

So I’ve had a reply from Mazda, oddly enough the dealer are indeed talking ball socks and have done a hasty reverse ferret.

I’ve put a screen grab of Mazda’s reply below, just in case it’s helpful to anyone else.

4 Likes