ND Mudflaps

I live down a muddy lane and am thinking about fitting a pair of these mudflaps.

Mazda part no. NA1P-V3-450

Has anyone fitted these

Sorry to be negative but I considered them to be too expensive, very fiddly to fit, and too small to make much difference splashing through English conditions.

I have had them fitted but to be perfectly honest the above comment is very true!  They are more cosmetic than functional!

Thanks for your replies…I don’t think I’ll bother.

Regards

Well I wish I’d read this post before buying a set ! Seems that ND mudflats aren’t a popular option ? If anyone has bought and fitted some , I’d like to ask two questions around the lower bolt fixing. See attached picture taken of the Mazda instructions.
1] Did you actually use the supplied ‘jack nut’/ 10mm blind fixing and where on earth did you get a ‘jack nut insertion tool’ from. I have a huge array of tools including pop riveters etc. But not going to buy one for inserting two jack nuts, it actually looks like it would pop into the hole with a bit of persuasion anyway , or did you use an alternative fixing ?
2) Instructions talk about drilling a 10mm hole for above jack nut. From having a quick poke around down there I think I’d be drilling into plastic, but there’s no way I’m drilling into a metal sill on a one month old car ! Even with copious primer waxolyl etc. It’s a future rust time bomb.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Couple of pictures follow to hopefully explain :wink:

Hi R,

You do not need the ‘special tool’ just to do two as you can use a nut and bolt that is the same ‘thread’ as the jack nut to achieve the same result. In the UK we would normally refer to them as rivnuts.

If you go ahead and can not work out how to do it with a nut and bolt just shout up.

Some of us have made our own, have a look here What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1) - General Discussion Forums / MX-5 Chat - MX-5 Owners Club Forum (mx5oc.co.uk) You can make them as big or small as you need.
:heart:

1 Like

Hi Malc, Thanks … that makes complete sense regarding the rivnut. I noticed you secured yours with the two existing fasteners only. I may do the same and leave the bottom one alone … saves drilling a hole in my nice new car ! BTW any idea if I’d be drilling into plastic or steel, Cheers … Richard

99% certain it is just plastic.
:heart:

1 Like

They aren’t mudflaps, they are stone guards just for the paint on the edge of the sills and rear bumper.
Very expensive for what they are.

2 Likes

I agree with previous comment, they do prevent stone rash to front & rear sills and stop some dirt on the rear bumper, they are very expensive from Mazda, found a set of Mazda ones at half the price on eBay.

1 Like

Agree with both above, expensive and as said more for stone rash