ND Rear Hub Carrier Issues

Higher mileage in Canada and US so more there. Suspect more here as mileage increases as has been suggested previously… I am aware of a fellow area member with a MOT advisory for one side on a 2016 model with 23500 mileage.

2 Likes

So it looks like Poly bush has finally made bushes for the rear hub carrier on the ND.
MX5 MK4 Archives - Polybush

2 Likes

Interesting and not crazy money, though I imagine the fitting would not be simple.

2 Likes

I agree that the fitting would not be as simple as they are made like the OE bushes with sleeve around them, all the poly bushes I’ve fitted to replace the old metalastic bushes in older cars were very easy because they didn’t have the sleeves and you could press them in by hand and then use a vice to push in the internal tube. It’s good that they can be purchased individually or as a rear hub set, unlike the set that Bofi Racing sell which is a complete front and rear car set.

If you have an issue with the rear hubs best to get it in to a Mazda dealership and let them verify what is wrong normally it’s the bushes , that’s what happened on mine as it was highlighted as an advisory on my MOT. That gave me all the ammunition I needed spoke to Mazda UK and they changed out both rear hubs on a good will basis as long as the car in question has full Mazda service history. The total cost to replace both hubs is £1500 inc Labour , Mazda paid £1160leaving my £340 all in all not bad result for a couple of emails.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you and at the moment there is nothing wrong with mine but there will come a time when Mazda won’t honour this problem because they will be too old and these will be a way of fixing the problem, as they don’t make an OE replacement bush.

1 Like

Also for owners like me who have had really bad experiences at dealerships (so much so, that I actually service the car myself rather than hand it over to someone to damage the car), I wouldn’t be treated the same way as someone who has had their car serviced by them.

From everything I’ve heard about my local dealer I’ll be getting mine serviced at themx5restorer who is nearby. It’s out of warranty anyway. Rather give them the car than anyone else.

It’s a real shame to hear about people’s bad experiences with Mazda dealers.
We’ve had nothing but brilliant service from ours (4 new cars and 9 years) and on occasions they’ve gone far beyond what I would have expected.
Not sure if it’s the done thing to name them, but think South coast and what volcanoes erupt, well near enough.

2 Likes

I suppose it’s the luck of the draw but my Mazda dealers that I have used ( one in the Midlands and one in Cumbria ) have always gone above and beyond

I’ll cross this issue when it arises… Am not too far from Roddisons - I’d expect they’ll have an answer… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Mazda bushes are not very well made but properly engineered bushes are currently being tested. Made by an MX5 owner with an engineering background.

6 Likes

This is really putting me off replacing my NC with an ND. Unless Mazda do the right thing they have lost a sale.

Most cars have their issues and cheaper solutions are usually found as the cars get older, especially when they’re owned by lots of enthusiasts. It looks like viable solutions are already in the pipeline. I’ve just had mine done under warranty, but I’m not loosing sleep over the fact I might have to get them done again in 2-3 years.

3 Likes

Which Mazda dealer in Cumbria is that?

It was in Kingstown Carlisle

1 Like

Thanks. If I have the same issue and I don’t get anywhere with my local dealer (P.V. Dobsons at Levens) I will contact the Kingstown dealer.

Taken from Miata.net, allegedly a TSB now for the issue and a production change from early 2021.

4 Likes

Does this cover out-of-warranty vehicles or only those who get a hub carrier failure in the first three years?

Judging from the phrase " Dimensional variation of the bush boots in the rear hub support may cause insufficient sealing" suggests that the problem will not arise on all cars and may occur over a different period of time/mileage dependent on the dimensional variation. I would hope that since it is a design defect, that Mazda will honour replacement on vehicles that have done below a certain mileage. My car manufacturers warranty runs out in a few days but it has only done 10,500 miles. I would be very annoyed if my car displayed the problem a couple of months down the road and Mazda did not contribute towards the repair.