ND RF 2.0i Remap

Hi R,
I suspect the extra torque of the ND1 will give slightly better lap times. If I am right do I get a prize!! Or if I am wrong do I have to do a for fit!!!

The warranty as far as I am aware would only be voided on parts impacted by the modification, so in theory engine, transmission etc…however there is nothing to say they wouldn’t void the whole thing.

The way the tell tale works on other marques is that each map update is given a version number, so if you bought a car with V0001 on it, mapped it (it becomes V0002) and then removed the map because you had an issue you wanted investigated under warranty (V0003) then your version on your ECU would be out of sync with what the dealership your car is at was expecting.
If they then made further investigations (which apparently involves sending your ECU to the actual manufacturer)then they can see what maps have been applied and when…and that’s when your warranty claim falls apart.

I’m not sure if Mazda have that versioning control just yet, but I’m not sure if I would want to take that gamble either…

Interestingly I have heard of a different manufacturer advising that adding after market electronic components would void any electrical warranty on their vehicles…that included stereo components, a reverse camera and additional lighting!

1 Like

OBD2 allows examination of ‘calibration’ (ie map) versions as well as VIN.

See Mode 9 in the Wiki article..

I’m not sure but I think Torque allows you to examine this in more detail, perhaps even step through the map data details - please correct me if this bit is wrong.

The stand-alone el-cheapo reader I have shows version etc on the NC but no map data detail.

1 Like

Thank you Germy for a very helpful and informative reply.
My thoughts exactly.
Therefore, I think perhaps the majority will agree to leave well alone until the warranty expires
Many thanks and well done. :+1:

PS where on earth do we think up all our user names :joy:

1 Like

How much would a remap be?

Depends on where you live and company. A hard ECU Remap is around £300. However, there might be an alternative with a ‘plug and play’ type gadget which plugs into the OBD port of a car allowing to alter HP level and drive modes (https://www.gantuning.com). Hope this helps

This will give you an idea. However, be aware that when you remap, a counter inside the CPU increases by 1, example : at release it’s 1, dealer updates car software etc and it increases to 2. You get it remapped and it will go to 3. On dealer system it is showing 2. You have an engine issue and delete the remap, counter goes to 4. Dealer system is still showing 2. You take the car in, dealer asks if you have remapped as counter is wrong. This was experienced in the USA and Mazda could tell, I am told. Any engine warranty now denied.

REMAPPING COSTS

That’s exactly what I said a few posts back :slight_smile:

Indeed you did. :+1:
In addition to Jeff_jthspace post.
Well, if the car is out of warranty does it really matter?
Those remaps look like they are the bog standard ones.
However, reading between the lines they just stretch the parameters within your current map and plug and play. (As stated).
Looks like they do not map your engine for whatever other mods you have either?
They make claims, but the only way you would really know what you have is to put it on a Dyno.
Just an opinion, but if you are going to bite the bullet have a proper one done.
As they say you get what you pay for. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like