ND RF inside Camera mount for track days

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND RF 1.5
  2. I’m based near: Hampshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Camera mount for a track day

Can anyone recommend a camera mount for use on a track day please? It will be used with a go pro or similar and I want it inside the car. Are suction mounts acceptable on a track day, or will I get asked to remove it on safety grounds? Somewhere between the rear headrests would seem like an ideal location. Perhaps attached to the wind deflector, if that doesn’t vibrate too much. I’m not sure the deflector has got a big enough flat surface for a suction mount.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Suction mounts are usually best. Depends on the track day organiser, some dont allow filming.

Also consider using the free Track Addict app on your mobile, and then you can edit and add overlay dials using Race Render.

If you really want to use a camera, consider Olfi they are much cheaper than GoPro.

Thanks @glosrich Track Addict looks like fun. I’ll have to give that a try at the weekend.

Hmm, a lot depends on the suction mount(s) and the surface and where and how well a sucker has been applied. I’ve seen them come off at speed, and it can be nasty and/or expensive.

I used to do this for work, with very intense Risk Assessment, Pre-Planning and Health and Safety, and we used the big suckers intended for lifting sheets of glass, typically three per camera platform, often plus a safety line or two to alternative hard points. But then our cameras weighed a couple of kg and not the feather weight of a go-pro.

We also used to have to gaffer tape up the lenses and the cameras and anything on a screw-thread to prevent the vibration undoing them, aircraft were the worst for this. Again a modern go-pro with clips is not a bad idea, less to undo itself.

If I was doing it again for a track day driver I’d use a pipe clamp on a gaffer-tape bed neatly wrapped around the roll-cage. Maybe better would be a small go-pro sized platform for where there is also a brace bar, this to eliminate the risk of it turning around a single bar.

And then always gaffer tape over the fixings. Gaffer tape is cheap, a lot cheaper than a lost go-pro or damage to the car or driver following behind.

And I have no intention of doing any track driving myself!

Unfortunately I ran out of time and didn’t get a chance to set up a camera or look at Track Addict. I started looking at Go Pros, Olfis and the like, but realised my old mobile phone is perfectly adequate (it does full HD at 60 FPS and the quality is very good), and the obvious place to mount that securely would be to the wind deflector. So I might see if I can find a cheap used wind deflector that I can drill some holes in and mount it direct to that.

1 Like