ND Roof Edge Fraying

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND
  2. I’m based near: Midlands
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

I suspect this is a common problem but a small patch of the fabric roof where it joins onto the windscreen seems to be fraying. Anything I can do to help protect it? My car is a 2016.

Does it ‘match’ the roll hoops when the hood is folded? If so it is a well known issue that could have been resolved under warranty. It is as result of folding the roof from inside the vehicle, is this something you do? The roll hoops rub on the leading edge causing cloth damage and marking of the roll hoop.

The best thing you can do is to start lowering your hood from outside the car. You need to push gently but firmly down on the rear of the hood as you lock it into place. You should see that a small gap will form between the leading edge and the hoop. In order to create a gap it may require you to ease the folded roof to the rear as well as pushing down.

Having had two NDs I found that closing from the outside as indicated above eventually ‘trains’ the hood such that it will now fold from within the car when required. But I still normally fold from outside just to be sure. (No I an not Irish :laughing:)

:heart:

3 Likes

Almost certainly caused by that issue, its the most common ND fault. I had mine corrected by the dealer when under warranty and have never had an issue since.

1 Like

If you can’t get it done as soon as you like and you can’t get it to clear properly by “training” it as suggested by Mad Malc, put a small piece of black Gorilla tape on the leading edge of the hood where it rubs the hoops. This can be done very neatly, such that the tape is barely noticeable. You will also find that a black polish like Simonize Black Chrome will clean up the marks on the roll hoops very well and any other scratches/marks on black trim.

The TSB actually adds spacer washers to the mountings to improve clearance to a degree. I had this done on my roof under warranty but I had previously protected it using the Gorilla tape, such that the fabric wasn’t damaged requiring a new hood.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks all, yes definitely the problem. Looked today and the hoops are scratched nicely, will see what Mazda say when it’s in for a service in a week or so

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Mine is a MY2019 and Mazda in Bury St Edmunds wouldn’t even acknowledge this issue.
They couldn’t see any damage despite being given specific instructions on where to look for the damage. In the end I did the DIY fix of taking a Dremel to the roll hoops to increase the clearance.
I also closed the fray/wound in the leading edge of the Canvas with some black Weatherstrip adhesive. I’d recommend this if the rip is very small as you can’t see it with the roof up or down.

1 Like

Yep I think this will be my best course of action, I wouldn’t of noticed it without the beady eye of my other half.

Do let us know how you get on with the garage! I’ve got a 2016 too with the same issue that was never fixed by the previous owner, have a suspicion my roof is going to need replacing in the long run though unfortunately.

1 Like

If Mazda don’t play ball, is there anyway you can attempt an adjustment yourself? I am going to get some tape on the roof and a bit of slippy film on the roll bars.

I know this is an old thread now, but do you have any photos of the fray repair? Just found mine rubs, so gonna sand down the hoops like this - [Soft top] 2018 ST contact with roll bar hoops - Alternative fix - MX-5 Miata Forum

Mine has also worn the soft top and am trying to figure out what to do about it. Has your repair held up?

Be aware that Paul Kent makes an arguably better solution now where you add blocks/spacers to the car quite easily to position the roof further back when stored in the lowered position.

3 Likes

I did the hoop filing and last year fitted the blocks from Paul. The hoop filing worked, but gap was still only a couple of mm gap. The blocks from Paul have increased the gap.

1 Like

Thanks, they look like a neat solution.

I still need to figure out what to do about the fraying though. It’s not bad but I’d rather do something to stop it degrading further, even if it no longer rubs.

It seems black silicone is often used. I’ll give that a go, it’s only the tiniest little bit needed anyway.

Fitted the blocks from @Roadie over the weekend. Super simple and sorted it right out.

Thanks Gareth for the heads up, and thanks Paul for the fix!

2 Likes

Here’s a link to my wedges for sale. Over a 100 sold so far and they have worked well for everyone that has commented on them. Drop me a PM if you would like a set.

Paul