ND - Sound Tube delete

Yes bung it up with a plug as IanH did l have done something similar and left the parts fitted……

So l bunged one end up and that still leaves me the end with the connection to Run my oil catch can mod…… :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone understand what the constituent parts of the sound tube do? There is a load of piping that pipes airbox sounds into the cabin, but what are the 2 cylinders actually doing? Are they sealed units that block actual air flow/leaks 100%? So they just allow resonance to carry through the rest of the tubing into the cabin? What then does the 2nd one (by the firewall/bulkhead) do?

The sound tube is also called a “sound symposer” and is used in many different cars (ST Fiesta and Jaguar F-Type to name two). It creates a sound theatre for your cabin, by allowing certain preselected frequencies to pass from the induction system, to the cabin. I note that some people have insulated the outside of the tubes to remove any mechanical noise, allowing only induction noise to be passed through the symposer, as they feel it produces a more pleasing sound.

This Ytube explains the basic design concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquuP5ofrYw

I have deleted mine, but wondered if this would now constitute a declarable insurance mod?

Also, a black 20mm closed switch box grommet, into the bulkhead panel, does the blanking job nicely.

I suspect the “whining diff” noise in my car is actually the stupid sound tube. Must look into removing it