ND - Sound Tube delete

I bought the sound tube delete kit from MX5Parts and as the rain was holding off, decided to fit it this morning.

I only really needed the small turret and a gromit but you have to buy the whole rubber tube.  I removed the modified part from the kit as as to make the install quicker and far less work.

There are two 10mm bolts to undo and the sound tube becomes loose.  Using some pipe grips, hold the spring clip open and twist the tube off the connectors, a half twist at the bulkhead and the tube is in your hand.

This is what you have removed

Here is the “modified” part that is supplied - minus the flange for the sound tube pipe

And the grommet fitted in the bulkhead

Job done in about 15 minutes - 10mm socket, pipe grips, magic spit to fit the hoses on with - that’s it!

I have not driven it yet as it is now hisping down with rain and I want to try it top-up/top-down.

1 Like

Bought the kit from MX5parts prior to getting my 30AE and removed the “F**t” pipe and fitted the kit 10 minutes after getting the car home after collection, only took 10/15 minutes!

…OK I am probably being dull, but was does this “sound pipe” do, and what are the benefits of removing it?

The “sound tube” pipes induction noise into the cabin so as to add “atmosphere” to your drive - a bit like how much you will enjoy the “music” that is piped into lifts, toilets, shopping malls and wherever you seem to go there days.

Removal will allow you to drive without hearing false sports car sounds in the cabin (no one outside the car will hear it - it just adds noise in the cabin) and is considered pointless by many.

If you want more true noise (sports car sounds) either make “vroom vroom” sounds as you drive or change the exhaust for a Cobra or similar. 

1 Like

Exactly that, just makes irritating farting noises which are filtered into the cabin. Tbh once you remove it you realise just how ■■■■ it sounded. 

Just a side note to removing the offending article. You can take the whole lot including the actual intake pipe by just releasing their pipe clips, you re-use them anyway on the new intake pipe. 

It pipes induction noise into the cabin. The benefit of removing it is to reduce cabin noise. Fair enough for those who like it and unlike an exhaust added purely for noise, not anti-social.

I took the cheapskate route:

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postsm692761_RF-Thoughts.aspx#post692761 

Cool

That’s exactly what I did!

What is the part number for this item ?.

Can’t remember the Mazda part number that was on the packing, but I got mine from MX5parts (link top right) and it’s listed under Mk.4 accessories as - ISE Removal Kit MX5 Mk.4 2.0l - there’s also one for the 1.5l. the price is 43.92 plus p&p.

I got my sound delete tube from Moss as at the time, their deal and availablity was better. Might be worth checking their website ??

On a different aspect, I made an attempt to measure the noise level using an app on my phone. A bit crude and probably inaccurate but for what it’s worth,  difference in volume was minimal however, I no Ionger have to listen to the previous breathy slurping noise and the cabin noise is somehow  ‘cleaner’??

Thanks for the lead, now on order.

Just removed the sound tube using the MX5Parts kit. and it only took 15 minutes. The sound tube wieghs over half a kilo, what happened to gram strategy?

1 Like

Hi guys
I’m about to buy a sound delete kit, and was wondering is the additional part circled in yellow below really necessary?

Wouldnt it work the same if you just blocked off the hole when the pipe is removed?

I’ve been too lazy to list a used one I have so far, feel free to ping me if it might be of interest.

Yes, you could just block off the opening left when the pipe is removed, I have seen threads elsewhere of people who have done exactly that!

1 Like

Thanks @ian.prossor :+1:t3:

The forum upgrade mangled the URL of the post I did before, here it is on miata.net

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=8116258&postcount=287

2 Likes

I have a 3D printer too and did think about a plug but sure I have the proper kit on order now @IanH :sunglasses::+1:t3: