ND steering wheel change

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND Z-sport 2018
  2. I’m based near: Newcastle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:
    Has anyone bought and oem+ Steering wheel from Guardian Designs I think they are based in Poland the website is very comprehensive and you can spec your wheel
    Not cheap but they look top quality.
    I like the idea but nervous about doing the swap the you tube videos make it look easy but I guess these things are never straight forward. Anyone done the swap? Any advice would be very welcome. Cheers Peter

Why buy in Poland when https://royalsteeringwheels.com/. is so highly recommended here in the U.K. ?

1 Like

Many thanks I had not heard of Royal before will certainly look into this . Cheers

Yes I bought mine from Guardian Designs and changed the wheel myself, I did need a wheel puller to remove mine as it most definitely wasn’t coming off by itself even using a fair bit of force. The hardest part is removing the airbag, having needed to remove it a second time and re-fit the wheel I completed the whole process within 30 minutes, so its one of those its easy when you know how jobs.

My advice, try to shine a torch into each hole to look for the spring arm you need to push against and whatever you use to push it with if its gone in anything further than an inch you’ve missed the spring mechanism. (I used as big a torx screwdriver as I could get into the holes).

Word of warning, if you buy from Guardian Designs you will pay import duty (even if you don’t on arrival, my invoice came through over a month later to the tune of approx. £150 for the wheel). I bought in December with 10% off but it still made it a very expensive purchase. Can’t argue the quality though, its definitely OEM+ and the vast majority of people would think its factory i’m sure.

3 Likes

Hi Gareth thanks very much for the advice , much appreciated. Following my note on the forum i have been put in touch with Royal Steering Wheels based in Aylesbury https://royalsteeringwheels.com/
so I will give them a try might be a better and cheaper option than Guardian. Thanks again Cheers Peter

3 Likes