ND - wading depth?

Hi. Enjoying the first summer with my new to me ND - did a little over 400 miles in it yesterday. :slight_smile: Just wondering, as one route I like has a ford, what the wading depth of the ND is? I’ve not taken it through anything more than about 6" of water thus far and I don’t want to make an expensive mistake. Years ago, I had a 5-series in which the air intake was right down by the front fog light, useless for anything more than a puddle. Anyone got any ideas? TIA

Yeah pretty sure its not good, I’m sure Roddisons had one in with water damage to the engine.

1 Like

Hydrolock roulette springs to mind

Wading depth? That’s a new one on me! Never knew cars had a “wading depth”. I know ships have a Plimsoll Line.

Probably more appropriate to the early mk3 4x4’s with snorkel

Have a look at where the air intake is. I think it’s higher than the grille but if you create a wave who knows where the water will get into. And it can get into any cases with a breather which might include the diff for example.

The other problem with wading is that it’s easy to misjudge depth anyway. I never follow anybody into a flood, I want to watch something else go through first.

I think the actual ground clearance on an ND is only about 120mm anyway so I’d work on that in extremis and go very slowly. But I’d rather avoid floodwater altogether.

1 Like

I have done 3 or 4 to date…they seem to suffer quite easily from water damage

2 Likes

Would not think the positioning of the Istop gubbins will thank you.
Amongst everything else.

2 Likes

I should have added that I also know somebody whose engine was wrecked by a vehicle coming towards him at speed. You can’t legislate for idiots. That was a lorry I think, but there are also some car drivers who think the way to tackle flood water is as fast as possible.

Best just avoid it.

I once went through a flood under a railway bridge in a Ford Galaxy, a Mk1 VW-engined one. The ground clearance was pretty good, more vulnerable-looking cars had gone through so I proceeded with caution. The engine was fine.

Some days later the electrics went bonkers, with lights flashing, central locking operating itself and the engine wouldn’t stop when switched off. On investigation, the box of tricks in a well under a cover beneath the front passenger seat was submerged in water.

I’ll take a look at where the air intake is. My other car, a saloon, has clear guidance on this in the owner’s manual. As mentioned above the problem is usually the bow wave coming off the vehicle approaching from the other direction. For the particular location I have in mind, there’s only room for 1 vehicle at a time and the depth is clearly marked, hence the question. Cheers.

Yes John, you’re right, The number of selfish. stupid drivers in big 4 x 4 (or anything else come to that!) that just put their foot down when they see a road flooded (well you’ve gotta keep the revs up, right?) and swamp anything coming in the other direction.

1 Like

This, behind the cover behind the NS front. :cloud_with_rain:

I think what everyone is telling you is, (and best advice) DON’T. :slightly_smiling_face:
(Just not worth the risk in my opinion).
A matter for yourself though. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, but not usually stated on Sports cars! My Ford Ranger has a stated wading depth of 800mm. My NC I would be nervous at 100mm

1 Like

Thanks! Same with my ND so In that case cue the Beach Boys - “Don’t go near the water”.

I think we were lucky to get away with this without problems! (see about 20 seconds in)

3 Likes

“Wading Depth”! A term usually reserved for military vehicles not sports cars :+1:

1 Like

Saw a shiny newish Audi suv being pushed out of flooding at Raynes Park last night, I’m guessing maybe 18 in deep. 300 yards later I chose to drive through what must have been 12 in deep, passing a dead Mercedes saloon in the process.

I was in the CX5, the MX5 safely tucked up at home.

Wading depths*:

NA - 100mm
NB - 100mm
NC - 1000mm
ND - 100mm

*not official (or accurate!) :stuck_out_tongue:

When I bought it, I was pleased to immediately notice our Mazda3 has the air intake right at the top of the front, highest point of the engine’s bits, 75cms above the road, just under the bonnet front lip, and even then it is not a direct route with the bonnet closed so a big splash or heavy rain should run away without any problem.

My NC air intake is significantly lower at 60 to 65cms up (standard ride height) hidden between the headlight clusters and above the bumper brace, and maybe that cross-pipe might allow smaller amounts of merely airborne water to settle out. So no great cause for concern, and mine has survived one major deluge from an oncoming bus and behind it a lunatic tailgating truck, the water flood was their side of the road, much like in captainhaddock’s video.