ND Windscreen Wiper Park Position - Poor Factory/PDI Setting

I have had two NDs (2016 and 2019) and both have had incorrect park positions for the windscreen wipers from new delivery. I did not notice on either of them until I used the car when it was raining. In each case I noticed that the wipers, in particular the passengers side was not clearing the windscreen properly in an arc about 2/3rds along its length. I also noticed that it the drivers side was leaving a large un-swept area at the drivers side windscreen “A” post. In both cases investigation showed that the wipers were parking mostly on the plastic windscreen scuttle rather than the fully on the windscreen itself. This meant that when parked for most of the summer the rubber blades where being distorted at the step from the scuttle to the windscreen. I removed both wipers and replaced them such that they were parked entirely on the windscreen. In this position they did not interfere with line of sight over the bonnet. Voila! The un-swept patch at the “A” pillar was much reduced and the un-cleared arc about 2/3rds along was cleaning after a couple of uses.

Photo below showing corrected “park” positioning.

2 Likes

I think the drivers side is about 1 spline to high, but the passengers side looks perfect.

1 Like

I checked that the drivers side wiper tip does not touch the edge of the windscreen surround at the full extent of it’s motion and when running at the faster speed. Neither does it interfere with the normal sightline of the bonnet extremities. If you look, the tips of the wipers are at the same height i.e. in line with the black masking of the windscreen. Off course there may be variations from car to car and some others may need to be 1 spline lower.

I think it’s just me, but I’d have to get the drivers side level at the bottom of the screen.

This is the spec…

4 Likes

Thanks Robbie that’s great. Surprised that both my ND’s had the wipers parking partially on the plastic windscreen scuttle though. Mine aren’t quite within the spec shown but as long as the blades are not hitting on the scuttle or windscreen surround during operation I don’t think that it is that important. I prefer to maximise the swept area for maximum visibility. The splines are a rather coarse means of adjustment unless there is another finer method of adjustment. I seem to remember some cars just had a taper to mount the wiper arm on which allowed for a finer adjustment. They could slip if not tightened though! Thanks again.

These are mine as a reference. I’ve not measured them but they look pretty close to the spec Robbie posted.

Mine look exactly like that.

Mine have just started parking higher for no apparent reason, I noticed the passenger wiper in my field of view this morning. From what I can tell thus far the swept area is the same so adjusting the splines may not be an option, they’re not parking at Bottom Dead Centre. Any other ideas for fixing this?