ND with Headlight Washers (Do YOU have one? - or a Fiat/Abarth 124)

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND
  2. I’m based near: Manchester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: …

Does anyone know of or have a ND with headlight washers?

I have started a little project as I want a bigger washer tank!
One exists but from what I can see was only fitted to cars with headlight washers and a washer level sensor (and possible xenon lights which I don’t believe the ND ever had in the UK)

• Without the washer fluid-level sensor: 1.2 L
  • With the washer fluid-level sensor: 3.9 L

As you can see, the standard tank is tiny compared to the one with the level sensor in it.
So I have acquired a large tank and the necessary grommets for ~£54 except there are two holes in it for things my car doesn’t have:

• Headlight Washer Pump >£100
  • Level Sensor ~£50

They are a little expensive for a test project so I plan to buy a barbed fitting to plug the hole for the pump but it looks like I need to 3D print a plug for the sensor hole.

So my question is:

Does anyone have a large tank in their car that I could get some measurements from the sensor on?

1 Like

So you’re going to add up to approx. 2.7kg of fluid at full. Somewhat flying in the face of Mazda’s strict weight saving strategy :stuck_out_tongue:

Then I will actually be able to see though and not carry and extra 2L in the boot anyway because it always runs out :man_shrugging:

I’ve got the 2.2L DaveFab tank in mine, the added capacity was very welcome, the added weight doesn’t matter so much when the car is turbocharged. I’ve never seen an ND with headlight washers, I don’t believe it is something offered in the UK market.

I’ve them on my Volvo V60. They are the devil’s spawn. They waste a bucket full ever time they operate which is every
fourth time I just want to clean my windscreen. But that’s just me having a whinge.

My Seat Leon is the same, I’ve never known a car to use so much screen wash. I had a Clio 172 for years which also cleaned its Xenon headlights and that was never an issue.

On the V60 it’s like you are trying to water the verges of the motorway as well! Every time it happens ( on the forth operation) I vow to turn it off in software …… until I don’t.

Ironically, I bruised some knuckles and spent £74 on a replacement to get it through the MOT.

Its like being married to someone you hate!

Also, the reason for the washers is to reduce dirt on headlamp covers that run Bi xenons. These run hot so keeping the lights clean is important to prevent over heating. The ND runs LED which run cool so don’t need headlamp washers.

2.7kg is no more than a decent meal out for some of us really… :joy:

1 Like

And that is the reason for noticeably better performance and handling on the way to a restaurant compared to the drive home. Unless of course you’ve left some unrequired mass behind…

I am very much joking about the extra weight… I just couldn’t resist making a comment when we know that Mazda makes certain changes to save grams, let alone a couple of kilograms.

1 Like