ND Won’t Start

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK4/ND
  2. I’m based near: Nantwich
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Non-Starting Issue

Hi all, my ND has suddenly developed a problem where when I try to start it it beeps at me, the starter button flashes green and it won’t start. I’ve replaced the battery in the fob and charged the car battery (which is about the extent of my technical expertise), any ideas?

Have you tried putting the key fob on top of the starter button and starting the car from there?

This should rule out the key fob being at fault or any possible interference caused by mobile phones.

Also, if you mention what year your ND is, seemingly the newer key fob has additional features such as sleep mode.

Hi
Silly question have you tried the other key, etc? If its unlocking and locking its not a transponder issue. Sounds like the immboiliser has a fault or is not seeing the key.
Try the fob on the button trick, if not lock the car manually and open manually with the key.
Need to reset the gremlin with the immoboiliser?
Good luck

An update would be good, is it resolved and how are the questions we are all eager to have answered.
:heart:

Hi, thanks for your help, annoyingly it’s an intermittent fault, holding the key closer to the start button sometimes works, but sometimes doesn’t, so scratching my head a bit, it’s due a service and MOT in a few weeks, so I may ask Crewe Mazda to have a look, although I’m not too keen on using main dealers. It’s a 2018 model.

You could try CS Haynes in Silverdale: https://cshaynes.co.uk/

I had my ND undersealed there and an MOT. Mention that you are in the Owners Club and you should get a discount if they are still offering one.

Did you actually put a new battery in?

Yes to the key fobs, no to the car.