ND1/2 Nuance differences

Hello forum,

I’m wanting to get into ND. Having looked up these cars, I’m having a question.

Ideally I would like to have a more recent example to ensure my car would have all the small and large improvements the NDs have had over the years. The problem being… I discovered the RF launch model and feel like I absolutely would love to have that alcantara interior and the Recaro seats. This model released in 2017. Quite early.

I won’t be buying a new one, so can’t spec Recaro and alcantara it myself.
I don’t quite like the Orange, nor the price of the 30AE models. And I think perhaps buying the seats, panels and gaiters separately would just end up too costly.

My question is. How much scope is there to retrospectively update this ND1/17 plate, up to match the later years. I’ll do a list of improvements I’ve found. I’d like if possible for the forums knowledge to add in any that I’m missing.

2.0 litre power bump from 160 to 181 and higher redline. Nice to have but possibly achievable via tuning in the future.

Improved rf door seals for reduced noise. Likely a quick swap for new seals.

Door mechanism improvement. Might have added an extra resting position, not a deal breaker.

Infotainment screen resolution sharpened, and black bezels. Swap possible.

Redesigned cup holders. Not essential, intrigued what the difference is.

Revised seat controls. No applicable to the Recaro seats anyway.

Telescoping steering rack. From what I’ve read this is swappable.

2020/21.
Apple CarPlay added. Also able to retrofit (even to wireless version).

Kinetic posture control. Not likely obtainable. Would be nice to have, but never in budget.

You had me confused there, it is actually Kinematic.
:heart:

My reading was ND2 only has 2 door open positions, ND1 had 3?
There were several iterations of gearbox mods through ND1.
ND2 has dual mass flywheel as well as the power bump (and better torque curve, which is actually what one needs).

My advice would be not to torture yourself over these details, or to commit yourself to spend more time modifying your car than driving it.

A lot of people prefer the smaller engine, so it cannot be that disappointing.

Retrofitting Recaro seats is very expensive.

I believe that KPC is worth having, as also the recent LSD.

The older the car, the greater the likelihood of serious rust problems.

I suggest you go and look at those cars that are offered for sale and buy one that appeals to you.

Best,

David

Wait to buy the spec you can afford/want:

• the power upgrade is impractical and expensive compared to buying the newer spec.
  • recaro refits are rare and expensive.

The rest can be tweaked though you need to experience the car to really assess whether you need them.

If you like the RF launch interior spec that much and just want to enjoy driving the car I’d just go for it. Even a 1.5 has enough power, the 2.0 has a bit more torque, but neither is what you’d call a ‘lugger’ they all need driving. The 1.5 (if there is one in the launch spec) will have the higher red line which is fun, I’m not sure it can be replicated on the 2.0 ND1 by tuning - Mazda did a lot of work to make the 1.5 what it was and applied that on the 2.0 for the ND2.

TBH I wouldn’t let a third party tuner at the Skyactiv-G anyway, it’s a very technical engine and people have not all had uniformly good experiences with performance ‘upgrades’.

I’m not sure there’s anything I especially value that comes with the ND2, on the 2.0 other than the higher red line and I definitely would not be pining for i-stop and i-eloop. Do you need the fore and aft steering wheel adjustment? I think the ND1 has more door detent positions than the ND2.

The Recaro seats will be more comfortable for many people I think but they are v. expensive to retro fit. The standard seats are basically deck chairs, with the squab supported by webbing rather than foam - the only thing I would change on my 1.5 Arctic that I’ve had for 6 years.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.