ND2 Differences?

I am looking to buy an ND2 184bhp.

Other than the engine what else is different?

I also want android auto. Is this standard in the ND2?

I don’t believe so, not at the earliest release of the ND2 or not on all variants.

If i remember correctly the first as standard CarPlay/Android Auto cars were the 30AEs, i don’t think it was standard on every car until 2020 though so an ND2 isn’t a guarantee of it, you need to look for the phone symbol next to the USB ports to know it has it.

Telescopic steering wheel adjustment and an array of electronic enhancements (road sign recognition, stop/start etc) were the other changes i believe.

It can be retrofitted (which is what I’ve had done on my ND1) so if you find an otherwise perfect car without the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto capability then don’t let it put you off, just try to use it as a negotiating aid.

1 Like

Is that the logo? Foes that mean it has android auto?

The one im looking at doesnt have it :frowning:

How easy and costly is this?

Do you just plug in via usb as you normally would and is it reliable??

Yes, that is the one .
:heart:

Yes, if it has the phone symbol then it has the updated USB module and has native CarPlay/AndroidAuto. If it doesn’t have a the phone symbol its the older module and doesn’t have CarPlay, very unlikely, but it is/was possible to force AndroidAuto onto the older modules via AIOTweaks but its highly unlikely to have been done and if the car’s firmware has been upgraded it may not even be possible now without replacing the USB module for the newer one.

A replacement hub (replaces the USB ports and SD card slot) and cables are needed, as well as a firmware update if the system hasn’t been done already. Installation involves removing quite a bit of trim and parts of the dash, I think - there are DIY guides kicking around on forums and on YouTube.

Cost depends on whether you get a Mazda dealer to do it with Mazda parts, an independent with Mazda parts, or DIY with Mazda parts or generic internet specials - your mileage may vary with the latter. Mine was done by a third party and the wrong (possibly non-genuine) parts were used initially and it wasn’t reliable. Now it’s sorted with the correct cables I have reliable wired Apple CarPlay. I think that there are decent wireless options available now, but I’m fine with wired.

If it were me buying a car from a reputable dealer I’d ask them to price doing the upgrade with genuine Mazda parts (and make sure they understand there is a firmware upgrade required if they’re not clued up on Mazdas). Then negotiate hard to get at least that off the sticker price of the car and insist they do the upgrade. They have wiggle room because they’ll quote you a retail labour rate but bill it internally with a reduced one, I expect. That way when you come to pick up the car and plug your phone in, if it doesn’t work perfectly you can reject it. It’s nearly March, dealers want to shift stock.

If anyone needs the latest firmware update pm me

1 Like

Even the top spec 2019 did not come with CarPlay how ever it was worth waiting for to fit it my self after updating the nav infomat system first a must do …(by Chris BlueAgave ) 2023 and getting the Wi-Fi version for £40.00 fitting it my self very easy to do and saving me at least £270.00 from the dealers l think l have the best of all worlds….

We have just bought a brand new 2.0l Exclusive line as a replacement for our 2016 ND Icon and they have deleted the CD player, the cubby box is deeper now, in fact it’s massive :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Taken my CD player out… Replaced it with my HD Mini Disc 8 disc multi change player I can get 60 cds on one disc it all works well I am just making a facia surround for it with the 3D printer…& a holding /mounting bracket …modding just love it…

1 Like

Crikey I’ve got a portable minidisc player with recordable discs in the loft somewhere, used that before I got an iPod. I had the CarPlay unit fitted in my 2016 ND and I never put a CD in the player, this new one has CarPlay as standard so I have just carried on streaming all my music. :+1:

1 Like

What you’ve done is cool, if you have a reason to use Mini Disc. However, 60 CDs on one MD is inevitably going to be a compromise involving compressed lossy audio. You could by a high capacity USB stick and do the same thing with less compromise. Similarly you can put MP3s on a CD (but don’t, there really is no reason to do that these days).

1 Like

Which wifi one did you get?

Im getting my mx5 tomorrow and i want it ordered haha

Is there a guide etc?

I dont mind doing it myself just not sure what i need etc

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.