ND2 Sat-Nav woes....!

Hi all…
I missed a local MX-5OC meeting today because, 1, I don’t know my local area having moved up here quite recently, and 2, my great ability in not understanding the sat-nav on my ND…!
Is it me or are they deliberately confusing to use?
The one problem I continually come up against is when I go to the option of entering a Town or Postcode in to it… Always brings up the town option only it seems…! :thinking:
I recently had a free software update from Mazda which seems to have made matters worse…!
I never had such operating issues with the sat-nav in my previous 2016 Fiesta ST2, or the, what is now spare TomTom sat-nav…
Please tell me I’m not going crazy…!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rob

I never use the built-in sat-nav, always resort to Waze on my phone :man_shrugging:
I also prefer Waze in portrait so haven’t even bothered setting up CarPlay/Android Auto

Being an ND2 did yours come with CarPlay etc.?

2 Likes

Sadly I don’t even use a smartphone…! Mine is an early ND2 so am unsure even if it’s got CarPlay…! Will probably go back to my faithful old TomTom - It comes with free lifetime updates…!, and is a doddle to use…!
Thanks,

Rob

1 Like

The AE30s were the first cars to come with CarPlay, if its a non-AE30 ND2 its unlikely to have it. The easiest way to tell is if there is a phone symbol next to one of the USB ports then it has it. I’d echo that CarPlay is infinitely better than the Mazda system (i never use it now), however I’d also add that when entering a postcode make sure you enter the space, it doesn’t tell you to do it but its picky and wants the space entered which trips up a lot of people.

That is no sad thing.

2 Likes

I think I’m certainly in the minority though!!

Rob

Definitely not the easiest to use until you learn it.

Plenty of guides out there though

Definitely worth having a cheap smartphone though, doesn’t have to be an expensive iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.

Something like a Motorola android phone for £150 does everything most people need, Google maps or Waze, and Bluetooth for phone calls or music streaming to the car.

Just tried mine (I normally use Android auto) and if you start typing in a postcode in the Town or Postcode box it works fine, as soon as you get to a number in the postcode it works out what you are trying to do.

The “spare” TomTom Start 20 sat-nav has had it’s free updates added and charged up, so if everything else fails it’s there…! :slight_smile:

Rob

Just enter the postcode in the ‘town’ field. You do need to enter the space between the two parts of the postcode, that’s the biggest hurdle to cross in getting used to using the system

While any TomTom will accept AB123AB or AB12AB the Mazda system needs AB12 3AB or AB1 2AB.

2 Likes

I have a new (2021) ND and when I go to the sat nav screen it automatically defaults to the Google maps on my phone. To use the Mazda Sat Nav, I find I have to disconnect the phone completely, go into the sat nav, enter in a destination and then connect the phone again. However as the Google Maps one is easier and better to use, I never seem to use the Mazda one at all… It seems to know that there is a better option to use

Same here. I never use my Mazda2 built in satnav but use a smart phone with either Google Maps or TomTom app. I either sit it in front of the gear stick or hang it over the built in screen! You can pick up very decent smart phones now for just over £100. Like this one which I have: (and of course the maps are always up to date and free)

Press Home for a few seconds to switch.

I tried that and it still would not move away from the Google one. I tried various ways to change to the Mazda one, but found that as long as the iphone was plugged in, it only seemed to use that.

However this was while I was driving, so I probably need to sit on my drive and properly concentrate on it rather than trying to multi task in a moving vehicle, which is clearly unsafe!!