ND3 Information Thread

If the Australian press release is anything to go by, there’s very little change for the 2022 model update. The 1.5 engine is dropped, a new suspension upgrade to the Kinematic Posture Control system and a new colour, Platinum Quartz Metallic. That’s about it.
It’ll be interesting if the same changes happen to the UK market.

2022 Mazda MX-5 update revealed, confirmed for Australia - Drive

Whoopeee! Another metallic grey :rofl:

1 Like

My thought exactly, another shade of grey.

UK details also available at Inside Mazda

1 Like

So nothing earth-shattering then! Was quite looking forward to a re-design for people over the 95th percentile to fit in the car (dream on) And maybe a nice hybrid battery boost for initial acceleration…

1 Like

To begin with I loved my three test drives in NDs, each a slightly different version, BUT I didn’t fit any of them and my back was killing me after only about ten minutes. My NC however is exactly right, painless and perfect all day, and I would hate to lose it.

Also I would never buy a car with an exploding bonnet, regardless of its good intentions. eg my contemporary with the ND but taller (and very comfortable) Mazda3 does not need such a detonating device.

1 Like

I agree, test drove a few ND’s and tried to convince myself I fitted but I didn’t even with the ND2 extending steering column. The NC2 has much more room once you fit a relatively cheap modification dropping the back of the seat rails. Just a shame the dash was design by Fisher-Price :rofl: But I’m back in a NB now which you can fit whatever seats/wheel you like in!

Mazda has launched a mildly updated version of the MX-5 for 2022, which is designed to keep the small sports car competitive with fresher alternatives such as the new Toyota GR86.

It’s available to order now, with prices starting from £24,755 for the soft-top convertible variant and £26,665 for the Mazda MX-5 RF, which is equipped with a retractable hardtop.

Mazda’s biggest update for the MX-5 is the addition of its Kinetic Posture Control (KPC) chassis control system. Basically, it’s a stability control system that applies a bit of braking pressure to the inside or unloaded rear wheel when cornering hard.

The company says this helps to settle the car’s chassis and pull the body into the tarmac, shrugging off a bit of body roll in the process. Mazda also says the system can do all of that “so subtly that the MX-5’s engaging handling remains unpolluted”.

Buyers are also offered a new Platinum Quartz Metallic paint finish. Other than these minor tweaks, though, the updated MX-5 is near-enough identical to the previous model.

Autoexpress

Note: The heading for this topic refers to AUSTRALIA where my post above is for the UK.

The post 4 above yours is for the UK also, any minor market variation makes little difference to the same minor changes appearing in all countries.

Yes no big deal I was just thinking some wouldn’t bother reading it with Australian in the original title as they wouldn’t always know the cars were very similar. No worries.

1 Like

As far as I can tell the UK keeps the 1.5 engine, I do recall Mazda allegedly being surprised how well it sold in here on launch, something like 50/50 with the original 2.0l. Emissions targets probably helps its cause now too.

The KPC (corner braking) seems like the only obvious new tech and a new colour too.

I wouldn’t have expected anything transformational in the power train for a late life incremental update, the NE would be the platform to bring that when the dust has settled on what that effectively can be.

Just wonder if anyone will do an aftermarket conversion kit to do this to ND1s and ND2s. They would probably have to tap in to the Stability Control software source code to do it, which may be a bit difficult without Mazda’s cooperation.

1 Like

Tbh I’m not sure why Mazda are making such a big thing about this, it’s not anything new, my new Mini had it fitted and that was over 15 years ago, and every BMW I’ve had since.

Mazda Give with one hand take away with the other the asking price will be over the top so I be keeping my 2.0 GT RF and adding my own touch to it just the suspension to put on in the new year …

Nothing in this so-called “Facelift” encourages me to consider changing mine…

Rob

Just been on the configurator. Be careful what you tick, adding any extras will add to the price even if the car comes with that particular feature as standard. eg. The rear view camera is standard on the GT but is still available to select as an option adding £400 to the price of the car. Same goes if you add the alloy wheels

2 Likes