Need to know the common spanner sizes for an ND, please

Yes, they are interchangeable.

1 Like

I worked out why I like this Miata forum more than the others on the internet. The German one is too po-faced, and, even though I lived in the USA for 30 years, I find the American one too flippant and US-centric. However, here, I am speaking the same language with fellow Brits, and I really appreciate the familiar GSOH.

I’d better leave it at that, anticipating the reply that you are all from the Ukraine! :slight_smile:
David

1 Like

I found a picture of the nuts with the winter wheels. This seems clearer: it’s the left hand version in Mad Malc’s photo with the part numbers.

David

Standard Mazda chrome wheel nuts then, 21mm. They fit all models.:+1:
I keep a 21mm deep socket with a bar in the boot just for those wheel nuts.

Unlike mine, which are sunk into the wheel, it looks like your nuts can be turned with a normal socket.

David

Further research reveals that, at least in the USA, the change to 17mm was made in the middle of calendar year 2018 and back to 21mm in the middle of calendar year 2019, which further muddies the waters!

END of STORY as far as I can see! :slight_smile:

David

Another US post alleged the 17s are due to the AE30 Rays forged wheels having deeper narrow sockets that wouldn’t allow the usual 21s.
Same Rays wheels are used on US MX-5 cup racers - at one time they were a third of the price but without the AE30 engraving!

1 Like

Sorry, not quite the end of story. I bought the basis of a socket set (ratchet, long and short rods, and L-shaped rod) to replace those that were stolen from me 10 or so years ago – some from a local store and some from Amazon.de. I also got a 10mm socket on Amazon to push the total there over €39 and avoid shipping costs. In my opinion, the quality of these German-branded tools is better than that of the kits sold by Lidl, etc. I shall buy sockets as needed – or maybe as an excuse for making up other Amazon purchases to the magic €39!

The three-sized set of wheel nut sockets, which I found locally, does seem like overkill, but individually the sockets cost about half that of the set, and there is no reason why their use should be restricted to wheel nuts. I have not yet checked to see whether 17 or 21mm fit my nuts, but will report on that later. I also ordered a jack from Amazon.

I am hoping that Murphy’s Law predicts that I shall never need to use these tools by the side of the road!

Thank you all for your great advice. It was a productive morning!

David

The Jack from a Mk1 fits perfectly in the right-hand well in the boot.

As promised, I offered the three long sockets up to the wheel nuts on my 2022 RF and the 21mm one was accepted. One happy customer!

Thanks to all who contributed to excavating this rabbit hole for your help. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

David

An average standard metric socket set and a set of combination spanners will do most things, for recessed wheel nuts just use the 50mm extension (I have nothing to say about Ray’s, no doubt there is a special tool, POA). Add a 24mm socket if you want to change the gearbox and diff oil, this is usually absent from sets.

For bodging, locking pliers (Mole grip), good quality water pump plier (nothing to do with working on the water pump, just for general rounding off) and an adjustable wrench.

A couple of spare 10mm spanners and sockets will eventually be used. I think they grow legs and run away.

In my experience Japanese cars can be almost completely dismantled with a Philips screwdriver, (maybe the odd torx or allen fixing) and 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19 and 21 mm sockets except for hub nuts - and a small flathead for trim and plastic clips :+1:.

1 Like