Need to know the common spanner sizes for an ND, please

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2022 ND RF__
  2. I’m based near: Vienna, Austria__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: spanners

I used to have a complete set of metric and imperial sockets and spanners, but they were stolen. (Many of them were never needed, anyway!) so I do not intend at my age to pay over the odds for another of those portmanteau kits, but shall buy only what I need.

It would help if you could tell me the most common sizes on the 2022 ND, so I can get together a basic kit. I know 10mm is one of them. But what do I need to undo the wheel nuts? They are sunken into the holes on the wheels and I cannot measure them with my calipers!

Many thanks for this basic advice.

Best,

David

ND2 wheel nuts are 17mm AF. Err at least on the AE30 anyway.

1 Like

Hi, was there not a tyre wrench in the tool compartment of your car? My 2018 ND has 17mm wheel nuts. I bought an ALDI torque wrench and it came with 17, 19 and 21mm sockets, so I’m set for whatever I find!

I bought a set of ratchet spanners that are ring one end (ratchet) and open the other end and they came in 6,8,10,12 and 14mm and seem to cover anything I need. I also bought, again from ALDI, a small tool kit that came with most screwdriver bits and sockets and that had also been great for covering all of the minor jobs on the ND and NA.

However, in Europe, LIDL offer a much better selection online. Here is the LIDL alternative to the ALDI kit I purchased. ALDI only have things on offer for a short time in the UK, LIDL in Europe seem to offer a much better service.

Hoping the above is found to be useful.

1 Like

There are not that many you need ,but recommend this for the home fettler, which will cover nearly all bar a breaker bar…

M-m

1 Like

Just buy the above and be done. If you buy the ones you need individually it will easily come to the cost of a full kit.
:heart:

I bought a set of these wheel nut sockets. The nylon outer casing just gives you that extra protection for your alloy wheel.
They are long enough too when using a torque wrench and not catching the body work :+1:

No. Just the towing attachments.

Thanks! That seems to be the consensus.

EDIT Members of miata.net are reporting that from 2019, or 2020, Mazda went back to 21 mm wheel nuts. There was a recall notice about this in the USA. Can anyone with a 2022 miata confirm that 21mm is the size for the 2022 year on the European models? Thanks!

David

Yes, you may have 21mm wheel nuts.

Do they look like this? If so they are 21mm

Might be an idea to check they fit - as I discovered you often need thin-walled sockets for wheels.

I don’t know why there are differences in size being quoted, but I can say that my 2017 RF has 21mm wheel nuts and I’ve just been to the garage to confirm it.

Simply because there are 2 sizes. 21mm on all early cars and 17mm from roughly ND2
on.

Probably, but I cant see very well, or do a decent measurement, as the nuts are “countersunk.” They look like this:

It looks to me as if one needs a special socket, as one uses for spark plugs.

David

You can measure the locking wheel nut socket to determine which ones they are but my bet is 17mm.

1 Like

According to reports on miata.net (see Werner’s post – #6), Mazda made a change from 21mm to 17mm in 2019 (for gram strategy). The garages complained at having to use two different sockets, so from 2020 model year they reverted to 21mm. This means that only the 2019 model year had 17mm nuts.

David

Did check, and have used them so know they fit - good thought though!

They look like 21mm ones to me.

These are the 17mm ones.

For all of those with an interest in my nuts!!

The left is the 17mm and the part numbers are shown for clarity.

PS Now I may have them the wrong way round, ‘butter’----I will have to check again next time I go to the garage. Getting old is a real pain in the ‘farse’.

1 Like

The left is the 21mm and the part numbers are for the locking wheel nut set not the normal wheel nuts.

2 Likes

Do they fit on the the same stud size and have the same taper?

ROTFL! What a comedy of errors. (You guys are fun to interact with!) I am not 100% certain, but the left one looks like what I have. I dont need the part numbers, as I have 16 nuts already in situ. Being stingy, it goes against the grain to buy a packet of three different size sockets just to discover which one I actually need. (At my age, this will likely be my last car!) I have never encountered wheel nuts sunken so far into the wheel before…

Now to decide which of the messages above is the April Fool joke!
David

1 Like