NEM - 03rd January 2010 - New Years Drive

Originally posted by Nigel on the NEM forum

OK folks, first drive of the new year falls to me so I am proposing a drive through rural Staffordshire stopping off for lunch in a 1920's Pullman railway carriage at the Spotgate Inn at Spot Acre.

The route will start from the Clock at Shardlow through Repton, Tutbury then down to Byrkley Park Garden Centre for coffee and comfort break then through the lanes to Uttoxeter, along the B5026 Stone Rd to Middlewich then arrive at Spot Acre. Journey is approx 50 miles.

This pub is quite unusual as it is partly made up from 1920's Pullman railway carriages restored to full edwardian glory. I have provisionally booked half a carriage (16 seats) but this can be altered depending on interest. Price for Sunday lunch is £7.95 per head or 3 courses for £11.95. As their website states...

1920’s style and elegance in the heart of Staffordshire countryside, where you are guaranteed traditional and international home cooked food prepared by and served by the Cullen family. The second you enter the front door into our garden themed lounge and head to the original Pullman carriages you will realise that this is no ordinary restaurant. The non-smoking dining area consists of two original Pullman railway carriages where you can enjoy our excellent cuisine in the ambient surroundings (we even have occasional train sound effects). The plush armchair seating makes for a comfortable and luxurious dining experience.

More details can be found here.... www.spotgateinn.co.uk

Ohhh and its my birthday the day after so would love you all to join me celebrating my 28th year