New '05 Icon owner in West Kilbride

Hi all,

This is my new MX5 Icon - photographed in Skelmorlie (North Ayrshire) earlier today.

Since getting the car last week I haven’t done too much work to it as everything looks pretty good and it has only done 52k miles. I stay quite near the coast in Scotland, so protection against rust will be a big one; so far I have undersealed it and water-proofed the soft top.

This is the first MX5 I have owned, so I’m not entirely sure where to start in terms of modifications and general maintenance. I don’t want to make too many changes to the appearance, so I’ll mainly be on the lookout for advice on taking care of the engine and keeping general ware and tear down to a minimum. As it didn’t come with a hardtop, I would also be interested in getting one at some point and potentially replacing the alloys.

I’m planning to take it out for a few road trips in the North of Scotland over the summer months and welcome any advice about things to look out for with this particular model.

Glad to be a new member of the community!

Sean

5 Likes

Welcome Sean , the weather in Ayrshire looks a lot better than it is in Essex at the moment.

Simon

1 Like

Hi Sean and welcome from Nottinghamshire… Nice example of the Icon, and in the background, a scene I should revisit sometime! I think you’ll find us a friendly bunch and there is more good advise here than you’ll know what to do with…!
Rob

Thanks Rob! I’m lucky to stay quite close to Arran. I’ve been quite a few times but not yet driven around the island - its definitely on the list!
Sean

1 Like

Thanks Simon!

1 Like

Sean,
Check out whether cambelt AND…water pump has ever been done because that mileage is below the miles bit of the handbook requirement.
Secondly drop all fluids out bit by bit as budget dictates check calipers are pulling even all round etc…
Get it in the air one day and check for cracked coils, whiffy shocks etc.
I’m expecting it’ll be mostly dandy. :wink:…Chilli Orange?

1 Like

Last time I was on Arran I went on the Waverly when it rammed the pier!
We used to own a cottage in Pirnmill in the 50’s & 60’s…wish we still did.

2 Likes

Welcome Sean.
I’m in Prestwick and can’t wait to take my 2001 California to Arran…

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I’ll keep an eye on the calipers and suspension. Thankfully I’ve not come across anything that needs attention just yet. The paintwork is Chilli Orange! (or Heinz tomato soup as its been described).

1 Like

Welcome, fellow Scot! One thing you’ll find on here, aside from decent banter, are loads of very knowledgeable people ready to pass on some top notch advice regarding looking after/upgrading your Five. Great community!

1 Like

I too have a Chili Orange Icon, new soft top on order as the present one has gone saggy and currently sporting a gloss black hard top. Recently had the chassis legs repaired and new sills fitted.

1 Like

I’ve been debating what colour of hard-top to go with. I imagine it would be tricky to find one in Chilli Orange, but gloss black would suit the car nicely. At the moment the soft top is fairing quite well but I’ll be looking into swapping it out for a hard-top before the winter.

1 Like

Not being funny Sean…but you do not need to actually swap out anything…if removal is what you were alluding to.
Hard Top simply clamps over the folded softtop.

1 Like