New battery installed - now my dipped beam headlights only work when you bang on them a few times

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2006 NC
  2. I’m based near: Amsterdam
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Headlight issues

Hello. I changed out my ancient battery last week and I have now found that there are some interesting things happening on my car. The instrument cluster is brighter, and I now have a headlights on buzzer which I never knew I had. The issue is that now my dipped beam headlights only work when I hit them a few times. This is every time I start the car. If I turn the lights off, then on again they won’t come on. I’ve checked the fuses and that didn’t help.

I’ve been told there is a bad ground somewhere that may be causing the issue but I don’t really know where to start with that. If anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Back in the day I remember dodgy earth’s on cars, you remind me when you say I hit them a few times and they came on.
First off I suggest looking at just that, the connection(s) earth at the headlights.
Wouldn’t discount maybe water ingress somewhere either, favourite is to the cabin fuse board but it usually brings other electrical gremlins too.

The day I installed the battery there was certainly a lot of puddles nearby my area. I think maybe that had something to do with it. I did solve the water ingress into the cabin before the winter season so I really hope it’s not there.

I’d try replacing the bulbs.

I ended up replacing my front end with the NC3 one, and did the headlights at the same time. That fixed one of them and then the second started working again after changing a fuse. Solved!